4-hers

Discussion in '4H/FFA Corner' started by sparks879, Aug 22, 2009.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Wondering what all you 4-hers and FFA members are up to? i know we are in the full swing of fair season. How are fairs going for all of you guys? Anyone have anything absoluty wonderful to report? How are showmanship classes going?
    beth

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    our fair starts next thursday. I'm going to do both the open and 4-H shows...so that's 4 shows. should be a great time and cant wait to get started..and pics of the alaska state fair!

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm not a 4Her or a FFA member but I sure do LOVE the fairs. I can't wait to do The Puyallup Fair this year. Are you going Beth?

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My fair starts Tuesday! And I show on Wed (4-H) and Fri (Open). I am so excited! I LOVE the fair!! I totally LIVE for it! :D

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Our County fair was in July but the State fair that my 4Her show is Sept 5th.

As for County Fair My daughter won the Champion Showman in her division then she won Grand Champion Senior Showman in the Round Robin. I also had my Intermediate Fiber goat girl win Grand Champion Intermediate Round Robin showman. The goat kids cleaned up. Beat those cattle and hog kids. I was very proud of them as a leader.

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    What are you guys/gals showing at your fair? I showed pigs in 4-H and goats for a few years when I was a kid. It was always nice to have the extra money from selling my pig to buy clothes and supplies for school. And of course I had to pay my feed bill for my pigs.

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    This year I am showing 11 goats and next year I am probably going to get a market hog and still have my goaties (of course)! :greengrin:

8. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    While I'm not a 4-H er, my kids used to be. Just finished doing the petting zoo at the Hunterdon County Fair - lots of beautiful nigerians there again. Stacey, did you go this year?? If so, why didn't you come see me???

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have my last County Fair this may :( . Since im 18, but im taking like all my goats so I an show them, luckily there are other shows besides this one. This is the only fair I have ever been to, and before I got into 4H and Nigerians, I showed market sheep for 2 years and a pig one year. Now im in looooove with my Nigis!

Attached Files:

10. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I know in Michigan, they did something funky with the 4H "ages". My niece was 19 and still showing because of the way her birthdate fell. I sometimes get confused when they ask for 4H age and/or real age. :shrug:

11. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ya its that way here to! I can show until december in 4H but the only show I really go to is our big county fair in May. Its too bad they dont let you be in 4h longer :(
    Im gonna miss it

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Our fair used to go by age but now it goes by grade. To show animals its 3rd grade to the summer after 12th grade then you are done.