The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run an equine rescue and, over the years, have taken in a few dozen goat rescues. We currently have eight goats, including two kids from a December rescue doe. The kids are now four months old and perfectly healthy. Just with an odd quirk: their horns haven't grown.

We've had adult polled goats before, but they didn't look like these kiddos. They both have bumps for horns, the buckling's are a solid half-inch long, just covered in skin and hair. The hair is thinner at the stretched top, like they'll break through some day. They are very rounded, though.

Do we have two polled kids, with larger-than-average bumps? Are they just late bloomers? Should we be concerned? Didn't want to sound like an idiot when I called the vet out. We don't breed, of course, so most of our experience has been with adult goats and this issue has never arisen before.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Hi and welcome toTGS! Congratulations on your kids.
What breed are they? If their horns do break through and only grow to an inch long they’re still considered polled if they’re ND.
It sounds like they’re giraffe polled. Picture would help. @Sfgwife has a giraffe polled boy whereas my Merlins (buck) broke through and never grew more than an inch. They behave like scurs and break off occasionally. He’s thrown fully flat polled kids so I don’t question it.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
At four months old and nothing breaking through they are polled. No kid that was horned ever waits that long to bud out. Those nubs are a giraffe poll. They are most likely rounded yes? ;). I can take a pic of my Bibbin later to show you his. He is a giraffe poll and yep his are under there but raised. You can easily see his nubs but they are skin covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts