The Goat Spot Forum banner

4 Month Old Boer Mix

4K views 53 replies 7 participants last post by  MylieD 
#1 ·
I know I ask a lot of questions, but here goes another one. :) I was wondering how healthy my boer mix baby looks. She's about 4 to 4 1/2 months old. I have definitely learned that she was not kept in the best environment at her old place. She was in a dirt pen with males and other babies. I got her at about 3 months so I'm not worried about pregnancy. But I doubt she's had minerals before she moved here, I know she has worms which I'm treating for, and she just doesn't seem to be growing. To they grow pretty slow? Her horns look weird to me too and her back hoofs are all bent. I have a hoof guy coming out, but I'm not sure if it'll be fixable just by trimming. So here's some pics and I'd like opinions.

I was distracted by the cute when I went out to look at her and didn't pay attention (or know much better) to anything else.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you! I will look into those treatments. I didn't think scurs because none of the other goats in the herd were disbudded. I just didn't know if they were normal baby horns or thin from lack of calcium. Hopefully she'll continue getting healthier.

#5 ·
If she was not disbudded, then her horns are showing serious lack of nutrition.

Normally I would say get a fecal done first, but I would get some DiMethox or Sulmet and get her on coccidia treatment ASAP. She also probably should get Ivomec at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. I would also copper bolus her and get selenium (preferably BoSe from the vet) into her.

Do you have a good loose goat mineral out for her?

#6 ·
Yes. I have manapro goat minerals. I was following the directions on the bag and giving them just a bit a day. Then I read on here about free choice, so been doing that the last few days. I give them goat feed (switched from sweet feed) and alfalfa/grass hay. Plus they eat grass and leaves out in the yard.

Can I get all that at tractor supply? I want the vet to check both the goats, but I've got to call around and check prices.

#7 ·
BoSe comes from the vet, but you can get some selenium/vit. e paste from TSC. DO NOT give it once a month like it says to.

Cocci treatments are from TSC also. Same as Ivomec :)

#8 ·
How often do you give it then? Just once or as needed?

Do I have to give B complex something or other too? (I was reading other threads.)

I had been reading about Molly's herbal wormer for all animals and I wanted to use that after everything gets straightened out, since I can use it on, well, all the animals. Any thoughts on that if anyone has used it?

Since I gave her that other wormer last weekend, she has had normal pellets and everything. I'll be in town tomorrow so I can pick up anything else at tractor supply then. Monday I'll call the vet and see what they say about check ups and fecal tests and vaccines.

#12 ·
Well, I listened to a worker at tractor supply who raises goats. He told me to get the paste for horses and just give her a little. It's 1.87%. I gave her probably half a fingertip, if that helps.

#13 ·
Thanks, NoahEm. I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants. Lol. I grew up with cats and dogs, not farm animals. A year and a half ago I got chickens and found out real quick I had to be the vet for them, since no one would treat them. I lost two the first year, one to a mystery illness and one to a dog. Now it's time to learn about goats. I was telling my husband I should go to vet school and get it over with. ;)

#18 ·
#20 ·
I thought of a new question regarding this goat. I actually wanted milking goats, which is why I got the nigerian dwarf first. I didn't research boers until after I got Korra, the baby, and now know they are meat goats. Well, I don't eat meat. So would she be worth breeding and milking? I don't mind keeping her as just a pet and not breeding her. I plan on keeping one or two of the nigerian's babies anyway.

#21 ·
I thought of a new question regarding this goat. I actually wanted milking goats, which is why I got the nigerian dwarf first. I didn't research boers until after I got Korra, the baby, and now know they are meat goats. Well, I don't eat meat. So would she be worth breeding and milking? I don't mind keeping her as just a pet and not breeding her. I plan on keeping one or two of the nigerian's babies anyway.
For now, I would plan on just keeping her as a pet. She looks extremely stunted, she may never even mature enough to be bred, anyways. If she does mature enough, she will probably only produce enough milk for the kids. But, you never know :)

#23 ·
I was thinking she was small for her age, but wasn't sure. I was more curious if people milked boers. I have no idea what she's mixed with too. I only saw boers at the place I got her and the owners didn't speak much english. But anyway, she's a sweet girl, so it's a win win for me either way.

#26 ·
I was thinking she was small for her age, but wasn't sure. I was more curious if people milked boers. I have no idea what she's mixed with too. I only saw boers at the place I got her and the owners didn't speak much english. But anyway, she's a sweet girl, so it's a win win for me either way.
It's a win for her, too ;) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.