The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have our little dairy farm here where we milk our 2 alpines who kidded both 1 boy and 1 girl about 4 month ago....
Well we are still new to goats and 1 didn't band the boys early enough so now we are at 250 each to surgically remove and our vet did a rough job on horns so they both have some big scurs....I posted me both up on Craigslist but not going so well...anyone else have this type if dilemma? I wish I could just let them run crazy in some pasture but after having to relocate to florida we only have 2 acres now and just don't have the room.

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
You could always grow them enough to put into the freezer. See if there are auction places to take them. Lower the price on Craigslist. Be very creative with your ads to possibly draw some interest.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Ilike Karens idea about getting creative with your add..are they friendly, could go for show..4 H? Companion animals..?? Im afraid you wont get your $250 vet fee out of them...but maybe get some of it back...other choice Karen said was sale barn..if you go that route..check often what they are selling for...maybe cal and talk to them down there for suggesting of when the best time to bring them..of course there is never a guaratee...or set them aside...feed them out a while and take them to the butcher....we do this with our rams....there is nothing like growing your own meat and when you take them to a good butcher they are respectful to the task...

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
I believe it is around 8 months/80 lbs. So far I have put adults in the freezer so I haven't grown any kids out.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have seen ads that had great success writing them like it was a "man seeking woman" ad. Example:

Lonely (breed) boy looking for long term relationship, and kids. I am in good condition, healthy, and would love to find some ladies I could call my own. Etc. etc. etc. ;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Here they like them at 60lbs, thats always the highest price per pound. If your thinking sale barn, prices all over the place are crap, you can try to sell for the fourth of july, but like what was said you cant count on good prices. A little tip about selling at a sale I have picked up over they years, people get paid usually on the 1st and the 15th so sale right after those days. Another thing to try on cl is make a package deal, everyone likes a deal, If your wanting say.....$150 each for them say you want 175 or both for 300.

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
A calf bander is a lot cheaper then 250 and will do both for one price. A California bander will do them for about 45. I've done 3 year old bucks with one of them. Always options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts