4 month old doe with swollen jaw

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Jul 26, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A friend of mine has a doeling that suddenly came up with hard swelling at the jaw towards her cheeks, he is very concerned and I went through all the possibilities...bottle jaw, milk goiter etc....those are squishy lumps, he wormed her about 2 weeks ago and I had even thot Cl.....but he has a clean herd so thasts out, besides that this issue came up sudden like. He is going to get hold of his vet tomorrow, in the meantime, she is eating & drinking, just laying around. I did tell him that she would be getting her permanent molars at this age so that could be the culprit :?
    Any ideas that I could pass along?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    allergic reaction? maybe she has something stuck in it like pine needle or something.

hope she is ok

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is a thot, possibly hay splinter even....but this is both sides of her jaw.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bee sting? try giving her the children's dosage of benadryl and see if it goes down.

How did he rule out bottlejaw? Did he check her eyelids?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    bottle jaw is usually soft, liz said it is a hard lump

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would imagine that he did check her lids, he is fairly knowlegable goat guy. But when he said the lumps were hard, I knew it wasn't bottle jaw.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    benadryl..

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would say an allergic reaction to something, and bendryl is a good solution. Do you or can you get a picture?
    beth

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I talked with him tonite, the little doe passed on Sunday nite, it was ground bee's that stung her, vicious nasty bee's and when he saw the few over the hole in the ground it was already too late for the doeling.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: sorry for his loss.