The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old doeling that started having diarrhea last night. She is otherwise acting fine(eating/drinking/playing). I'm thinking cocci so I took in a fecal this morning but haven't heard from the vet yet. I started Molly's Herbal wormer Friday and finished the 3rd day on Sunday. If my vet recommends treatment with something I have Corid on hand(which I know is not recommended but it's what I have)how much B-complex with Thiamine in it would I give her? It has 100mg Thiamine/cc. I am soooo hoping that Molly's works for me and if it is in fact cocci is it too soon to assume it's not? Any advice is appreciated.:D

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
What kind of wormer did you get from Molly? Does it treat cocci??
here is a break down of how much Thiamine is needed IF you kid has Polio Symptoms(per tennessemeatgoats)...YOu can perhaps go less for prevention during Corid treatment..be sure to follow COrids instruction carefully add the B and keepa close eye..best wishes

If thiamine is unavailable but the producer has injectable multiple B vitamins, check the label for how much thiamine (Vitamin B1) is present. Fortified Vitamin B Complex contains 100 mg/ml of thiamine, so the 4-1/2 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight dosage is appropriate. Injectable multiple B vitamins containing only 25mg/ml of thiamine require four times the 100mg/ml dosage (18-1/2 cc) per 100 pounds bodyweight,

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the Formula 1 & Formula 2 which I was under the impression that it took care of cocci too. I may have to look at it again though. I am hoping it's not that but I have a gut feeling it is:( . I'm also wondering if I could ask for Baycox? Isn't that better than Corid?

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
Baycox is way better than Corid lol....vets carry a form of it for dogs..I think apill form but its pricy..a friend usedit when she was loosing the battle withher buck..he was on his last leg when her vet gave her that..after she ordered Baycox and treated everyone else..do you have it ordered..if not here is the web site... horseprerace.com at least if you need it later..keep it on hand..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on my to order list but I have not ordered it yet. I think it's weird that she's the only one who has it and is acting perfect. So I'm praying that's not what it is. I'll probably go ahead and give her the Corid unless the Baycox isn't too expensive; my budget is kinda low this month. I'll keep ya posted. I also wonder if since I just gave the herbal that it's just her system purging itself? I don't know. I'm just hoping that's not what it is.:p

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
that could very well be the issue too...the herbal might have given her the runs...but sometimes one kid will show signsof cocci while others wont...Give her a bit of pepto and if she will take a bottle some home made electros...and some probios..see if that dont clear things up then run a fecal just to be sure...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cathy!! It's so nice to have a place to bounce ideas off of other goat people. :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I've never used the herbals but because she is at a good age to get a cocci overload, the first I would do would be to have a fecal run...which you did. If there are no cocci found then it's safe to assume that the diarrhea is diet related and could be the result of the wormer. Any change in diet can cause the runs... and a worm load can too.
Go with the results of the fecal, treat her then follow up with the B Complex after the treatment, cocci thrive on thiamine and though I've never used Corid, it is a thiamine inhibitor for that reason, which is why the Thiamine should be given after the course of treatment, as well as probiotics.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
#1 herbal can take care of cocci, but it is better as a preventative. She has a preventative schedule on her website. If your doe is in pain, I would just use the chemical and nip it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
#1 herbal can take care of cocci, but it is better as a preventative. She has a preventative schedule on her website. If your doe is in pain, I would just use the chemical and nip it.
She appears happy & healthy just with diarrhea! Her and her sister were running/jumping/playing yesterday. She doesn't appear in any distress at all and has been eating/drinking normally. I still haven't heard from the vet yet:shrug: She was dewormed with Cydectin the first of May then I started the Mollys. Could it be just her body purging it out?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never used the herbals but because she is at a good age to get a cocci overload, the first I would do would be to have a fecal run...which you did. If there are no cocci found then it's safe to assume that the diarrhea is diet related and could be the result of the wormer. Any change in diet can cause the runs... and a worm load can too.
Go with the results of the fecal, treat her then follow up with the B Complex after the treatment, cocci thrive on thiamine and though I've never used Corid, it is a thiamine inhibitor for that reason, which is why the Thiamine should be given after the course of treatment, as well as probiotics.
So if it is cocci and I treat with the Corid then I don't give the B-complex at the same time? I wait until the treatment is over?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok......so it IS Cocci!! :mecry::mecry::tears::tears: I'll treat everyone with Corid since the vet did not have Baycox. I'll order some whenever I can though. But ThreeHavens I'm still confused. Do I give the Vitamin B complex w/thiamine during the 5 day treatment or afterwards? He wanted me to treat my adult does too but for just 3 days. We have had a lot of recent rain and he said that is what caused the problem.

On the bright side though he said that other than the Cocci the fecal was clear!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of wormer did you get from Molly? Does it treat cocci??
here is a break down of how much Thiamine is needed IF you kid has Polio Symptoms(per tennessemeatgoats)...YOu can perhaps go less for prevention during Corid treatment..be sure to follow COrids instruction carefully add the B and keepa close eye..best wishes
Question.......do I give the Vitamin B complex that has Thiamine 100mg/mL everyday that I'm giving the Corid?

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
I would give it during treatment and a few days after...:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could think of every question at one time but I have another:eek: Now that article mentions giving it every 6 hours but my baby isn't showing signs other than diarrhea. I wonder if I could get away with just giving it once per day?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also emailed Molly and asked her about giving the Herbal wormer during the Corid treatment and she said yes I could do that. She got back very promptly!!

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
I would give the B every 6 hours...I know a huge pain but you dont want to take chances.. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts