The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf doe that just isn't acting herself. She is normally so high energy and bouncy. She was out in the pasture this morning eating and I didn't notice anything really unusual until around lunch time when I didn't see her with the others. It was hot, really hot and humid. When I went out, she was in a corner of the pasture just standing there, head kind of hung down. I called her and she didn't move. I went in and picked her up and carried her out in to my yard where there was some patches of tall grass. She ate for awhile, then started the same standing there and not moving. I just now put her back in the pasture now at 7PM. It is raining and I thought she would go in the shed with the other goats. Instead she went back in to the corner and stood there again, but in the rain. I just feel like something isn't right and I am worried. It has been insanely wet here and nasty. Hot and humid.
Ideas? Suggestions? What should I do or check? My gut tells me something is wrong.
No scours and no fever.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Get a temp on her and check her rumen for movement, place her inside in an area that she'll be dry and offer her water and hay, the temp would be the first to do as well as checking her eyes... are they focusing or are they dancing ?

IF her temp is normal at 101-103.5 F and there is movement in her gut, get some baking soda into her and a SQ injection of thiamine or fortified b complex...just in case it's polio

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When was the last time she was dewormed? Could be coccidia.......I would have a fecal checked ASAP.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I would keep checking her temp a few times a day. This could also be the beginning of Pneumonia.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Any news on the doe?? hows her temp?

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been following her around the pasture. Temp was 102. She is eating. Noticed her licking a tree. No dancing eyes. They do focus. She just seems to almost act depressed with the head hanging low.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When was the last time she was dewormed?

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had her and her mom since mid-May. She was wormed before I got her. I know the breeder and she does care well for her goats. Should I do it again?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Perhaps my advice isn't relavent as I don't own goats yet, but have extensive experience with cattle/calves. Sounds like she is possibly dehydrated. Are her eyes sunken in to her head at all?? Standing with her head down she clearly isn't feeling well and if it's hot and humid, they can loose fluids much quicker than they can take them in if they aren't feeling 100%. Calves will often stand in the corner with their heads down and puff really bad when they are too hot. However, if she was overheated she would have a much higher temp, but not necessarily. IF she's dehydrated she needs fluids asap! Call the Vet- other than that, I don't know. Hope this helps a little????

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought up to the front porch which is gated and covered. I gave her baking soda. Waited about 30 min and gave her Nutridrench. One of those seemed to help. Her ears perked up and she was more alert. I went ahead and gave here thiamine for good measure. Got her to drink some electrolytes just in case this weather is dehydrating her. She is now sleeping on the big fluffy dog bed out on the porch. She has hay and water with electrolytes mixed in.
Checked her temp. Still normal. No scours either. Her eyelids are pink and eyes are still focusing normally.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Dehydration could be part of the issue. when they don't feel good they dont always go to water further complicating things...I would def. have a fecal done, but if you cant I would still begin cocci treatment...since temp is good and eyes are deep in color, how is her coat condition? I might still treat for worms as well..Valbazen oral wormer 1 cc per 10# is a good broad base wormer..

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. She is still just kind of standing in one place most of the time with her head low. I checked her breathing again which seems to be rapid, but she sounds clear. She did sneeze a couple times when I was out with her. Her coat seems very coarse to me, but it has been that way since I got her two months ago. I kind of feel like I should worm her and treat for Cocci since nothing seems to be working.
Since I did give her thiamine, would she show improvement if it were polio?

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
I would take a fecal sample in to the vet and make sure that they also include coccidia in it. Find out what you are dealing with. If you haven't wormed her yet, that is definitely in order but know what parasite you are dealing with first.

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wormed her this afternoon. She has also had two doses of B complex today. Nutridrench twice. Did some electrolyte drenching off an on since she wasn't drinking on her own. After the second dose of B, she did start drinking if I held the bowl up to her. She is out on my porch eating hay right now. Looks at me when I open the door and walk towards me to try and come in which is an improvement.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
You might want to try antibiotics...sometimes pueunomia doesnt present a steady fever..its called Interstitial Pneumonia...and with her not getting a ton better, I dont think it will hurt to try...Nuflor is my choice for treating pueumonia..its from a vet if you can get it..3 cc per 100# I wouldnt give less than 1 cc., once a day for 5-7 days....if you cant get Nuflor then Tylan 2oo 1 cc per 25 # every 12 hours for 5-7 days..
per tennesseemeatgoats:
If fever is not present but all other symptoms indicate pneumonia, antibiotic treatment is also essential. (This is an exception to the "no antibiotic usage if fever is not present" rule.)

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gave her Duramycin. She is 20# so I gave her .6cc, Does that sound right? That is all I have on hand and my husband has my car. Also more B complex, Probios, and Nutridrench this morning. Made sure to get some fluid down her too. I did finally see her urinate, I was worried about that and still no scours, normal pellets.
Would it hurt to give her baking soda again?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Yes, that sounds right...I went to look it up to be sure...;) Be sure to go daily on the antibiotic Hopefully you will see improvement and get her over this hump

Baking soda is fine if she looks bloated..other wise leave it free choice for her to choose

·
Rachel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pretty sure we are over the hump for our little girl. She is up, walking, eating, and drinking on her own this morning. Even calling to her momma, who is in quarantine, just to be safe.
I had a friend that ran a goat dairy farm help me. This is what we did.
Wormed her. Treating for Cocci. Treating for Polio and Listeriosis. Treating an upset rumen with Milk of Magnesia and free choice baking soda. The addition of PenG and Milk of Magnesia is when we started to see dramatic improvements, every six hours she was looking better.
Thanks for the early help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts