4 month old with a swollen pooch???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sarah, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    Not sure if im posting in the right spot or not... I bought a 4 month old boer doe about 3 weeks ago. (this is my first experience with the young ones) I noticed when I got her home that her pooch was swollen. I didnt think much of it, just thinking everyone is different, or she was in heat. Well I asked around and it doesnt seem that they go into heat that young.?. So I just thought it weird and left it alone. Well today I had a thought....could she be pregnant? I felt her udder and I dont know what they are supposed to feel like at that age but I just happen to have another doe about 4 months old also and so I compared and it does seem to be a bit bigger. The guy I got her from had 160 acres and the goats had the run of it (babies, weanlings and herd sire included). He took the ones he was selling and put them in a pen for me to look at. And she was still out in the herd when I got there. I watched him chase her down and capture her. And when I walk my buck she will run to him and attack him like nothing I have ever seen!! But she doesnt act that way with any of the other goats. She is around does, a wether, a 6wk old buckling and my 4 month old buckling. I took pics but cant post them because of my dial up internet. but I would be more than happy to text the pics to someone if they wanted to see for themself. Opinion??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes boer goats can go into heat that young and she could potentially be bred but you rarely see any changes in pooch or udder till they are 3 months along and I very much doubt your doeling was in heat and bred at 1 month old.

3. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    Thanks, Stacey. Good to know they do go into heat. I am glad to hear the odds are against pregnancy! Do you know what could be gcausing this? I havent seen any discharge.