The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Goat Owner and Soaper
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum-so hope I'm asking in the right area.... I've had goats for 5 years, but we are keeping our first wether this year. Should a wether receive any grain? Generally I know that a growing kid needs grain. But I also hear a lot about the being careful what a wether eats? Should my 4 month old wether be receiving something that my does do not? We do not keep a buck at our place, so he is living with my does.
I love goats!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I mixed pelleted grain feed that contain AC with alfalfa pellets for my growing wether. They also get alfalfa hay. I believe UC is caused by imbalance of CA:p. My neighbors feed their wether only alfalfa hay (no grains) and he does well. There are many opinions on feeding wethers.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ax is ammonium chloride,you can buy feeds or minerals that have it in the mix already,it's ok for the does as well ,this prevents urinary calculi,good luck

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I personally would not if they are getting high quality hay, my wethers have grown fine. They get 1/4 a cup of alfalfa pellets growing up, and 1/2 a cup when they are full grown, just to make sure that their CA:p is as balanced as I can make it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts