The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased some pretty skinny goats today(I know I know 馃様)

They're definitely fixer uppers but I think we can nurse them back to health.
Going to be send blood samples to make sure they're not diseased.
Currently they are quarantined away from my other goats inside.

Very disappointed in the way some people raise their goats. A couple of them had kids this year (one weaned hers and the other one rejected hers... No surprise there). Don't know why anyone would breed a goat in that condition.

My question is when is the optimal time to deworm them?

They are quite thin, not 100% skeletal but really close. :-(

I've been feeding them very small amounts of food, giving them hay free choice.

2 of the goats had pale white famacha scores. The other 2 (the younger ones) looked pink.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Registered
Sounds like you like a challenge! I assume the previous owner did not recently worm them? The two goats with pale white famacha scores could be wormed now. How old are the other two? If their famacha is good, I wouldn't just worm them for the sake of worming them. Get a fecal done on all four goats that way you know for sure what your enemy is and give you a baseline to test the effectiveness of the wormer you are using. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you like a challenge! I assume the previous owner did not recently worm them? The two goats with pale white famacha scores could be wormed now. How old are the other two? If their famacha is good, I wouldn't just worm them for the sake of worming them. Get a fecal done on all four goats that way you know for sure what your enemy is and give you a baseline to test the effectiveness of the wormer you are using. Good luck.
Oh yes definitely not planning on worming the 2 pink score goats. I'm gonna double check then again though.

The other 2 were as white as a sheet of paper. So they were my main concern.
They're very skinny though so I was afraid that the deworming might be too hard on them.

Great idea on the fecal! I will do that.
Thank for you the advice!

Registered
If you're concerned about the dewomer being too hard on them, you might try ivermectin injectable first time. Most of the time, if the goat is still walking, eating, and generally being a goat, the worming alone won't negatively affect them. I do get concerned about too strong of a wormer when they are old, already down, have bottle jaw, or nursing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're concerned about the dewomer being too hard on them, you might try ivermectin injectable first time. Most of the time, if the goat is still walking, eating, and generally being a goat, the worming alone won't negatively affect them. I do get concerned about too strong of a wormer when they are old, already down, have bottle jaw, or nursing.
Really great advice!! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Registered
Forgot to add....wouldn't hurt to give the white famacha score goats some redcell 6cc per 100 lbs orally and a shot of b vitamin complex. Recovery form anemia takes a long time. Post some pictures, others can possibly spot something you may be missing and offer advice as well.....we won't judge you or the previous owner. Just want to help you and the goats.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to add....wouldn't hurt to give the white famacha score goats some redcell 6cc per 100 lbs orally and a shot of b vitamin complex. Recovery form anemia takes a long time. Post some pictures, others can possibly spot something you may be missing and offer advice as well.....we won't judge you or the previous owner. Just want to help you and the goats.
Okay I'll pick up some red cell and b vit as well.
And post photos of them tomorrow!

I appreciate it :) this group has such lovely people, I know that I'm in good hands here lol!
Thank you鉂

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Awesome that you have taken on some troubled goats! They are lucky to have you! 馃憤

Are they does, wethers or any intact bucks? Do you have free choice minerals out for them? Some alfalfa might be a good idea for their weight and anemia. If you can't get alfalfa hay, pellets would be fine too. Pine boughs are good for anemia and unhealthy goats too. You can give them a pelletized goat feed or a grain mix if you'd like. Of course start out slow, but that would likely help them gain some weight. Black oil sunflower seeds, calf manna or even some dyne might be a good idea to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome that you have taken on some troubled goats! They are lucky to have you! 馃憤

Are they does, wethers or any intact bucks? Do you have free choice minerals out for them? Some alfalfa might be a good idea for their weight and anemia. If you can't get alfalfa hay, pellets would be fine too. Pine boughs are good for anemia and unhealthy goats too. You can give them a pelletized goat feed or a grain mix if you'd like. Of course start out slow, but that would likely help them gain some weight. Black oil sunflower seeds, calf manna or even some dyne might be a good idea to.

All of them are does. The two that are the worst off are the oldest (1.5 to 2 years old).
And they had kids. One of them rejected her kids and I can see why, she has nothing left to give them. :-(

Yes I gave them minerals as soon as they got home, they really seemed to like it. I also have vit and minerals in a tube that I might give them later (along with copper bolus).

Thank you for the suggestions! I will pick all of that stuff up soon and see what they prefer. I appreciate all the help and kind words鉂

Registered
I've read some research on giving a copper bolus at the same time you worm them. Seems to indicate it enhances the effectiveness of the wormer. I've started doing this and it appears to verify the research. Just a thought. Another bit of advice....keep them in quarantine until after you have the parasite issue resolved and verified by a second fecal. You don't want to contaminate your other pastures.

Registered
I would get fecal tests done on all of them.

Can you post pictures of them?

Yes, give the ones with bad FAMACHA scores daily red cell and b complex shots. I would recommend that you get the more concentrated injectable B12 from a vet as it has more B12 per dose than the b complex.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've read some research on giving a copper bolus at the same time you worm them. Seems to indicate it enhances the effectiveness of the wormer. I've started doing this and it appears to verify the research. Just a thought. Another bit of advice....keep them in quarantine until after you have the parasite issue resolved and verified by a second fecal. You don't want to contaminate your other pastures.
Yes they will stay in quarantine until we figure out what's going on with them whether it be just worms or some other disease. Thank you for the advice I appreciate it!! 鉂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would get fecal tests done on all of them.

Can you post pictures of them?

Yes, give the ones with bad FAMACHA scores daily red cell and b complex shots. I would recommend that you get the more concentrated injectable B12 from a vet as it has more B12 per dose than the b complex.

Yes! Sorry, just been busy the past couple of days.

So contacted my vet. Went forward with doing fecals on all 4 of them.

Results:

January Doeling FEC: 2000

Yearling FEC: 2000

1.5 y/o FEC: 2000 (I think this might be off because I wasn't able to get enough manure from her)

2 y/o FEC:... 34,000!
My vet told me she's never seen it that high before. We're both amazed she's still alive right now honestly.

We've started them on 2 kinds of dewormer then I will retest them in a few weeks and then re-evaluate from there.

Attaching some photos in the next post.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ones on the bottom are the doelings.

Ones on the top right are the 1.5 year old (black head) and the 2 year old (brown head laying down).
___

Doelings. They look okay-ish compared to the other two. Still need to put more weight on though.
__

The 2 year old... Yes this poor creature nursed kids with this body. :-(

The black head look similar but she didn't want to cooperate for photos. :p

The pans on the ground was to give them minerals the day they came. I have it in pails now, not to worry.
____

This is a photo of my other goats. A bit chubby but very healthy!

Hopefully we can get these 4 girls patched up! I will keep you all updated.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts