4 week old bottle babies with diahrea

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I tried to look through the previous topics, but couldn't find what I was looking for...... so here we go.

I brought home 2 bottle baby boys (the ones I posted pics of before) and they have really bad diahrea. I know that they are in the process of being switched from pure goats milk to the whole goat milk mix. But I noticed even before the switch when I baby sat them over Valentine's weekend that one had a little bit also, so I gave them both pribios on the 16th of February.

If there something else that I should be picking up and giving them??

They are drinking their bottles, playing, running around with my 5 week old baby Moon, acting completely normal. There is NO blood in the diahrea, light mustard yellow in color, with a little bit of clear. I am really worried about dehydration.

Thank you
    Allison

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My thoughts would be cocci and or ecoli.

Try giving them some pepto bismol for starters. I always try that first whenever I am dealing with diarreah unless I know what the cause is.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    how much pepto would I give?

I have albon at the house that I could give for the cocci but what would I give for ecoli?

Would it infect the rest of my herd if they had ecoli? I know cocci could

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for the little guys I give 3ccs of pepto

For ecoli you need something like scour halt or check the thread that Fainters has and there is a couple recipes for some herbal/allnatural remedies

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey,

I read the post, but would the herbal recipies be ok even though there is no blood in the feces??

I will start the pepto tonight. How many times a day and for how many days?

Should I go ahead and give albon also just in case?

I am going to pick up a lactated ringer and IV line tonight to give Sub Q fluids if it comes to that. Their gums and eye lids are still very pink and so far CRT is within normal range. Also the skin elesticity is good also.

I will take temps when I get home tonight also!

Thanks!!!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can give them some pedialite(sp) or gatorade to help with the dehydration if they become dehydrated.

7. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    If you give them gatoraid stuff, make sure you do it seperate from the milk feeding. You wnat the milk to be able to curdke and digest properly, and the extra fluid can interfere with that. A seperate time of fluids is great.
    I would give them the albon anyways. Can you have the vet do a fecal?? Pretty quick and not too much $ for the answer to cocci.
    Speedy recovery thoughts at you!

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    when i have a young one get diahrrea i first give them 3cc of pepto mixed with 3cc of nutra drench. some times mine will nibble at something new & that has caused it. if it dosen't stop with that then i give scourhault

9. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    If you use Albon you need to give Vit B (I think that is the vitamin) as the Albon will deplete the body of it.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try the pepto tonight. I haven't found nutradrench in the area, but I may have to order it.

I did give probios last night to both also. One poor little boy snorted after his bottle and it went out the backside - so I know they have it, and their backend is a little wet.

I will give them a tiny bit of albon tonight also and see if that will help. I know that Albon has to be given for 5 consecutive days.

Thank you all again!

Allison

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is good to know needs to know more, as the vet never told me that when she had me treat everyone back in December and some were prego at the time - aggghhhh!

So for little guys that weigh approximately 5-7 pounds, how much vit B do I give?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never heard this with Albon - with Chorid, yes but not with Albon.

Can you tell me where you learned this?

Allison the B complex will not hurt them if you give it but I wouldn't rush into giving it right now because if you do then you defeat the purpose of the medicine.

This is what I know about Chorid - it works by depleating the bodies thiamine which cocci feed off of. So once you do the round of meds you follow up with thiamin so that the goat doesn't get polio. Many goat raisers are not using this medicine anymore due to the nature of the med.

Now with Albon I don't know if it works in that way - never heard of it doing that but I am always learning new things. I will look it up and see what I come up with.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Any cocci treatment will deplete the body of vitamin B as it is a sulfa drug, Albon isn't as bad as chorid though.