4 week old buckling not well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    When we went to open the barn this morning Cole didn't come out of the kid stall. I went and got him to match him up with his mom and he was just standing there seeming really lethargic. He sort of pawed at the ground with his front leg. He did nurse when I put him next to his mom. I gave him all the same round of stuff I gave him at birth (a little nutridrench, selenium and vit. e gel, and vitamin b complex gel). Temp is 104.6. Called the vet and she can't make it out until later but said to give 1/2 cc Thiamine injection and if it wasn't needed he would pee it out. He screamed when I gave it to him and it was good to see that much energy. We have him in a stall with his mom and a heat lamp because we had a cold front come through yesterday (it still 60 degrees, so not really "cold"). He is standing now but keeps sort of pawing at the air with his right front leg and I have no clue what that means. And advice is appreciated!

2. Can you get a fecal quickly to check for cocci/worms? Thiamine is good just in case.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.

3. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I don't know how quickly we could get a fecal back. The only times we have had them run was at the vet and they called us a week later with results. I figured 4 weeks was a little early for worms since he isn't even really eating food yet. I can ask the vet to run a fecal though when they are able to make it out here.

4. They dont need to be eating food to get worms it cocci. They nibble and taste things on the ground all the time. Kids come down with cocci around the 3 week mark...which is why some start preventative treatments at that time.

5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! I didn't know that. Would cocci symptoms include the fever and weird pawing (hooving? lol) the air?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

7. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I worried about pneumonia also. We had it in one of our older goats this summer and aside from the pawing the air part he is acting similar to her.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with possible pneumonia. Temp is high. Do you have antibiotic on hand? Not sure why he's pawing the air..that is curious unless he hurt that leg.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    We have LA-200 on hand. I know that's not the "best", but we got a big bottle before we knew better.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you get Tylan 200?

I have no idea why a vet would recommend just thiamine for a goat with a fever. Hm.

I would be concerned about pneumonia as well.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Check his temp again. Is he urinating? Is he deficating? What color is his defication? Have you listened to his lungs? Is their any mucus from his nose?

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  12. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Checked temp again, it's up to 105.2. I didn't see him pee, but he did have normal pellet defication that was brownish. I tried to listen to his lungs but I don't really know what to listen for, I didn't hear anything alarming. He does have some white goopy mucus in his nose now.

13. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Vet said any time they have a sick goat they give thiamine just in case because sometimes it does the trick. I don't have Tylan 200 but I will look at the feed store today.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I did notice when he breathes out there is a little sound like the beginning of when we say "ahem". It's not really loud or crackly, just noticeable.

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You really need to see him pee. He really needs Banamine and antibiotics with that temp.

16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    For my young ones..i get robitussim dm..they get 5cc drenched with 1/4 of a zinc tablet crushed in that drench. Then Vetrx for his nose. I put electrolytes in his water. The robitussin I give 2xs a day..the 1/4 zinc tablet 1 time only.
    If pnuemonia..their will be a rattleing sound when they breath. You can hear the sounds in the lungs. Colds..they can have clear snot, fever, and not want to eat. But my little ones will eat about 1 hour after the 1st drench. And their temp drops.

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Definitely watch for pee we don't want anything secondary going on,. but it sounds quite likely to be pneumonia, Tylan is the best OTC option but your vet could give you Nuflor which is even better, banamine too to bring down the fever.

MadHouse and YouGoatMe like this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get banamine and Nuflor from your vet.

The kid most likely has pneumonia. Unless the umbilical cord area and legs are swollen.

LA 200 is hard on a kid that young.

Seek a vet for proper meds right away.

Also being 1 month old, is a prime age for cocci and worms, get a fecal as well.

19. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Ok we will get on the antibiotics and something to bring down the fever. I will ask the vet for Nuflor and banamine. I'm going to call again and update her on symptoms so hopefully that will bring a sense of urgency and bump the visit up to a higher priority.
    He did eagerly nurse a couple of times, so that was encouraging! He isn't really walking much, but he stood and we brought mom to him. I'm going to repeat in an hour or so to make sure he stays well fed. He certainly does not feel skinny and his tummy does not feel empty.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope the baby will be OK and you can get the meds quickly.