4 week old buckling not well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My vet often gave thiamine as well when goats sick.
    La 200 is ok in a pinch if you can't get a better antibiotic asap. 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q once a day.
    Give garlic and vit c to help boost immunity.

Its good he's nursing well.

2. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Vet said pneumonia most likely. She thinks the pawing is just him acting weak and trying to walk. He's a little more alert now, got antibiotics and meds to bring down the fever. Still nursing well. He's in a pen with his mom so now all we can do is keep up that treatment, wait, and pray. Thank you all for the guidance!

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! I hope your baby gets better!:hug:

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Babies get sick quickly but with the right treatment, usually get better pretty quickly. When he starts feeling better, be sure and continue the antibiotics for the full course.
    How is he doing?

5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    He is doing a little better this morning. When we went in to check he was up and moving around and nursing on his own. Temp is still slightly elevated at 104.4.

6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So glad he is starting to improve! I hope he recovers quickly for you!! :hug:

7. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! I'm holding out hope that he makes a full recovery. The vet did mention that it's very iffy with "premies", but hopefully the fact that he did so well after being born early means he's strong. I just worry about if he was a little behind on lung development that pneumonia might be harder for him to get over.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Draxxin is a great antibiotic for lung infections. While i prefer nuflor for daily use..giving draxxin 2 times 7 days apart goes directly to the lungs. I would continue the nuflor along with Draxxin. Draxxin is pricy!!. Key is stop the infection quickly before damage is done.
    Other things to help the lungs is essential oils. A Doterra blend called Breath is excellent. Daily garlic is always good.

9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I'll have to check and see which antibiotic the vet gave. I was dealing with a 1 year old human child that was throwing a fit so I had to go inside the house when the vet was here. I do actually have a bottle of Doterra Breath so I'll give that a try! We do garlic as a preventative so I'll keep that up too. I hadn't given it to the babies yet, but do I need to make it into a paste or anything? The older goats just get an unpeeled piece in their handful of treats.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sorry you human kid was ill..sure hope he/she is feeling better.
    With Breath..just add a drop or 2 to carrier and rub on goats chest..and can do a swipe under his nose.

Making a garlic paste does make it easier to gice garlic to kids. You can even dilute the measures dose to be able to drench it.

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.
  11. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Oh the human kid wasn't ill.....just ill-behaved lol!!

12. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I hope your baby gets better fast!!

MadHouse and YouGoatMe like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is the baby doing today?

MadHouse likes this.
  15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    He is showing slight improvement. He's not walking too much, but he does move from spot to spot. We had the heat lamp on because it got cold overnight (about 40 degrees). He was standing and had a full tummy when we checked this morning. He's been a little more alert, looking around and responding to us coming into the pen, so that's good to see! Before we started the antibiotics he was just sleeping all the time and we would have to pick him up.

16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Ohh, good to hear!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Just a heads up just in case type scenario
    Keep a close eye on his joints..look for any joint swelling. A bad infection can cause joint ill. I had a young buckling years ago have a severe case of pneumonia. Took longer than normal seemed to get better..he then started limping and we noticed swollen knee. We took him to our vet to rule out a break. Sadly the infection settled in his joints. We learned that if infection goes sepsis it can effect one or more joints or the bladder and kidney. Aggressive treatment will be needed as soon as you suspect joint ill. Similar to naval ill, 10 full days of a strong antibiotic would be needed along with dexamethsone an vit c.

Feira426 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    We actually had one of our other goats with pneumonia and joint-ill this summer. It was touch and go, but she survived it and now you'd never be able to tell anything was ever wrong with her! Thank you for the heads up though. I will keep a close eye on it!

19. SO glad he is doing better. When we get pneumonia here, it takes 2-3 days or so to see them truly getting back to normal. It's yucky stuff. I agree about the Draxin! We lost an adult to fast-acting pneumonia recently (necropsied by vet. Jumping around fine night before and no symptoms, next morning gone) and he gave me draxin for the rest of the herd in case it was contagious as we'd had 2 die like that at once. It was a rough week. But he said it targets the lungs and is longer lasting.

20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Pneumonia is tough on the herd. There are two kinds. Interstitial pneumonia also known as silent pneumonia. Most likely what your goat had Jubilee as it is quick to kill. Often first sign is a dead goat. This type is not contagious.
    Pasteurella pneumonia is contagious and temp can get super high. We had this blow through our herd some years back. Lost one doe but saved the rest. Many of temps were as high as 108.
    We keep a close eye on everyone when we have extreme temperature changes.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.