4 week old buckling not well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. alisonbond

alisonbond New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Gas? The pawing is usually a belly ache isn't it? Had the same thing happen to a baby calf. Thought I was going to lose her, she burped, farted and ran off!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I thought it might be stomach problems, but he was pawing at the air. Eventually he did it at the beginning of each step. Now that he's on antibiotics and meds he stopped doing it completely.

3. I wonder if it had to do with him having a hard time breathing. Maybe, or that his chest was hurting.

4. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Cole is a little more active today. Much more alert than he has been. He wasn't standing when I went in to the barn this morning, but was sitting up looking around. We've still got a couple more days of antibiotics so I'm praying we continue to see progress! I miss seeing him bounce around everywhere! I did make sure to feel all his joints and I can't feel any swelling.

5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I am so very happy to report that today Cole seems to be back to his normal self. Walking around like normal and even a little playing with the other babies. Thanks again for all the help, support and advice!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So good to hear!

YouGoatMe and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh thankyou.! So glad to hear.he is doing well!

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Well Cole is back to not doing well. He's pooping and peeing fine and has a normal temp, but he just won't get up and go. His back legs seem weak. He can still nurse, but won't stand long and doesn't want to walk. His breathing sounds normal, but looks kind of shaky and every now and then he kind of trembles. I've giving him vitamin b complex gel and also a shot of thiamine and a little nutridrench. After the antibiotics he seemed his normal self for about a week, and now he's declining again. Joints all seem normal and not swollen. I don't know what else to do now....as nothing really seems too wrong other than the fact that he just acts like he has zero energy.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Let’s get some selenium in him for sure. Can you get Replamin plus gel? Put a pea sized amount on your finger and dab on his tongue.

12. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    He will be 6 weeks tomorrow. I don't have replamin plus, but the gels I gave him were Selenium and vitamin E with probiotics, and Vitamin B complex. I just came back in from checking on him. He seems a little more alert but definitely wobbly/weak and not wanting to move.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Let’s get an updated rectal temp and FAMACHA check.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Which antibiotic did he receive again?

15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    He got LA-200. The vet said since we had it on hand it would work fine. He got it for 5 days. As soon as my husband takes his lunch break I will get out there again and re-check temp and famacha.

16. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Temp is 102.6 and FAMACHA between 2 and 3, but closer to a 2.

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would dose with 1 raw clove of garlic (blend with water and syringe feed if needed) get a fecal sample run for parasites. Cayenne pepper with raw honey rubbed on his gums for energy.

YouGoatMe likes this.
  18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    At this age, coccidia could be causing him some issues.

YouGoatMe and CountyLineAcres like this.
  19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Is he on coccidia prevention yet? Any stiffness in his legs..ears held stiff ..any ridged-ness?

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.