4 week old buckling not well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Trying to rule out tetanus. If you have any suspicion at all..even a tiny bit..give tetanus antitoxin and start him on penicillin.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    He's not on a prevention yet. I couldn't feel any stiffness anywhere. I moved all his leg joints and there was full range of motion. What coccidia prevention could I give him?

3. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    As far as tetanus...I wouldn't think this to be the case. He doesn't have the stiffness or drooping. He's alert and looking around, just doesn't want to get up and move. My husband is starting to think it might be an injury or something. Checked temp again, it's 102.4. When we bring him to mom he nurses enthusiastically. He doesn't feel frail or anything and still has a full tummy. This is very puzzling!

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Definitely not Corid, he’s too weak for that. Do you have the ability to run a fecal?

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Dimethox is. Good prevention treatment for coccidia. Its injectable given orally. Alo under the name of Sulfa drug. Jeffers usually carries it if your local shop doesn't.

Glad to hear no sign of tetanus!

Moers kiko boars and YouGoatMe like this.
  6. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    We'd have to have the vet come out. I'm starting to think I might need to learn how to do that on my own. The billing with the vet has become pretty daunting and the return on the results is not quick.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You can send fecals out to Meadow Mist Labs. She charges $6 a test. And she is very good. You get results via email.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I hope you figure out what it is with him soon!
    We want him bouncing again!

alicejane and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Talked to my friend that also has goats and she suggested white muscle disease.
    Cole is not getting any better. He was laying completely flat this morning and we had to hold both him and his mom so he could nurse. I gave him another dose of Selenium and Vitamin E gel. But nothing seems to be helping so I'm starting to lose hope. My husband is going to see if the vet can come out again today.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’m sorry Cole isn’t picking back up. Do you have injectable vitamin b complex instead of the gel? Gel isn’t effective really for goats.
    I can recommend a good vet if you’re near me, I see you’re in Texas too.
    I just read the thread and it does sound like WMD if you look at the rear end weakness and wobbly but little Cole was also fighting being a bit early and a host of other things too.
    Maybe your vet can give a little BoSe to get his selenium back on track.
    Best of luck with him, I hope he hets better soon.

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Be sure temp is good before helping him feed.
    How long was he in antibiotics? And how long off when he started getting weak again? It seems to have progressed from weak back legs to being flat out.

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Re reading post. I see its been about 2 weeks since antibiotics were done?
    When the vet saw him....did he listen to his heart? Possible heart murmur or other defects maybe an issue. Not enough oxygen can make baby weak. I would have the vet check for that. Rule it out any way. With him being a preemie he may have internal issues unseen.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    When the vet was here last she basically said because he's a premie he's going to be weaker and more sickly than a regular goat. She said his lungs and heart are likely not 100%. I wasn't out there when she visited, but that's what my husband communicated to me. To me it sounded like a write-off, like he's gonna be a sickly one so "best of luck".

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I noticed him staying in the barn three days ago while the rest of the herd was out on the pasture. I took him out to them and watched him for a minute and noticed he was slower and moving slightly odd. Not really a limp, but kind of like he might have injured something. Since then it just keeps getting progressively worse. He's still alert and screams for mom, nurses well when we hold him up, but just won't stand and walk. Earlier today we did get him to stand but then he tried to move and fell to his side.
    We are waiting on a call back from the vet, even though I am not thrilled with their treatment. I'm also working on seeing if a friend has some BoSe I can use. His temp is still good. Last checked was 102.4.

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Could he have been kicked or butted by another goat? Some times other mommas can get heavy handed with other babies

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Definitely have vet look at him. Being a preemie can have its challenges sadly

18. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Yes it is possible. The other two babies have been very lively and headbutting/jumping around. Cole has been in a safe pen since he's been acting off, but it could have happened prior to that. I'm sure there is also a chance it was one of the older goats, but they have been peacefully together for a couple of weeks now with no incidents.

19. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I had 2 premies last year. They were behind the other kidds till about 2 weeks old. Then I couldnt tell any difference. But the first 3 days of life they basically slept most of the time. They looked to me, like it was harder for them to coordinate their movements. They were slower. I gave them nutridrench. I kept them with their moms for about 5 days. In a pen...only those 2. After 5 days they could stay awake and keep up with mom. So then I put them with moms & newborns. They blended well with that group.

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.