4 week old buckling not well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 29, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

:hug:
    I hope you get good help and advice from your vet, and/or the BoSe helps. Get better, Cole!

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is Cole this morning?

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.

3. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Unfortunately Cole declined rapidly yesterday evening. He could no longer even hold his head up, was unable to nurse even when we held him. The vet suspected heart defect. We said goodbye to him and gave him lots of cuddles. This is our first loss and it while it stings a whole lot I'm also grateful he is not suffering anymore. Thank you all for your advice, support and help.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that. Hugs!!!

Moers kiko boars and YouGoatMe like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Why sorry you lost him. ((Hugs))

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

So sorry you lost little Cole. Every loss really hurts. Especially when you both fought so hard. But yes, he is in a better place now. And he has been a teacher to you as well. Patience, perseverance and stamina.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    So sorry for your loss.

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.
  9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you all. We are very sad and missing him already. I didn't think about it until just now, but do I need to milk out Cole's mama or just keep an eye on her udder? We haven't milked her, she was only feeding Cole, so I don't even know how much milk she has. Her udder does look full, but not really tight or anything.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am not sure but she could get ill if the milk goes no where. Some one can correct me but maybe you should milk her out.

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss! :hug: :rose:

12. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I am late to this thread, but I was so sad to hear that you lost him:hug: Sorry for your loss.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose one, no matter how long or how many goats you have.

Regarding her udder; if you plan to milk her, start now, twice a day. Milk out completely. If you are not going to milk her, then milk out just enough to relieve her hardness. Watch and make sure she doesn't get mastitis. When milking, wash and dry her udder (and your hands). Check her temp daily and her udder. If it starts to get hot or hard, you need to get her milked out promptly and start mastitis treatment. Good luck!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss. :(

15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you so much! I will not be milking her but I definitely don't want to see her get sick.

MadHouse likes this.