The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very new to caring for goats. I just acquired a 4week old goat about 5 days ago and he wont take a bottle. he's eating feed, hay, and vegetation like crazy. But his little belly is super hard, he’s had diarrhea, and he doesn’t play at all. I'm worried. The only large animal vet in my area has no openings anytime soon. Please help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know what his temp is. He was a bottle baby. Mom wouldn’t nurse the lady said. And idk if he’s peeing.i haven’t seen him.but he is drinking water. He just eats and sits around

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
What a rough beginning of your goat husbandry! Four weeks, sounds very young to be weaned. I would try to force him to take the bottle, where do we have my description of how to do it ...

Lo and behold, I found it!

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/orphan-rescue-need-advice-asap.206385/#post-2263139

There is some additional information on the following page. In your case I would really try to measure his temp, he seems to have problems. GOOD LUCK! And Welcome!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Hi, a new baby can be a challenge.
First, you must observe all body functions...if it goes in, it must come out. I.e. Peeing and pooping.
Second knowing what the babies temperature is is critical to getting him to eat the temp is taken rectally with a digital thermometer it needs to read between 101.5 through 103.5. That's normal for goats anything lower than 101 isn't good especially in a baby. Any higher means infection. Enviorment and activity can effect temp so take it twice if necessary.
You must also make sure that any milk you feed is at least 100 degrees. Make sure you put a scant 1/8th a teaspoon of baking soda into the bottle this helps with their digestion. If you have goat milk that's great, if not use cows milk from the grocery, make sure it is whole milk, not 2% or low fat. Start with small amounts then build up.
The link trollmor gave you is my bottle baby rescue, she had other problems besides not taking a bottle but I know what you're going through.
A 4 week old can be taught to drink from a bottle, make sure the hole in the nipple is free flowing by making it a bit bigger by making a small X in it. And when feeding hold it up high so babies neck is stretched up some.

You've got this! It takes patience and persistence don't be afraid to let baby get good and hungry before trying the bottle. If necessary bring baby inside away from grass and hay for them to get hungry pretty soon he'll go back out and come running for his bottles.

Welcome to the Goat Spot and good luck!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I have nothing to add to the help you are receiving. Just a big hello.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts