The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been looking to this thread since June, when my goat first showed symptoms of being sick.
I should start off by saying we moved in March, so my goats are in a new pasture. In June, I noticed he went off grain. Weird for him, so I wormed him with Ivermectin then safeguard 10 days later and he seemed better. He still never wanted grain, but was happy grazing and eating hay. Fast forward to August, he got REALLY SICK. I am talking I thought I almost lost him. He had poop that looked like it had pieces of intestine in it hanging from his butt when the vet walked him into the clinic. They said it was urinary calculi and I didn't buy it so got a second opinion. He had a fever and the other vet said no urinary calculi. He gave him steroids, banamine, B12, and some SMZ for at home. He was doing poorly, I think the antibiotics upset his belly, but then perked up after antibiotics were over (still no grain). He is on probios, some B12 orally when needed. I should add the vet thinks he has Jones (spelling) Disease and that's why he is so thin when I tried telling him that he hasn't had grain since June, he wouldn't listen. I had a fecal done and all they look for were cocci which was normal. He became sick with a fever again this week, and I took him again to the vet where they suggest I put him down. They gave him some antibiotics to hold him over and a steroid until last Monday. He was doing great over the weekend so I couldn't bear to put him down.Well, he was 100X better yesterday (I wormed him with Ivermectin Wednesday morning). He was running, tail wagging, he was so happy grazing and I was on cloud nine and so grateful I gave him more time. However, tonight he was shivering, head hanging and just not feeling right. Does anyone have any insight for me? Its always highs and lows. Like eating makes him more sick than not eating.. He does poop but not a lot and he does pee just fine. Not sure what to do. I hate to give up on him but I am at a loss. Thanks so much for reading my long post & for your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
I would send in a fecal to Meadowmist labs and see how things look there.
Hows his temp tonight?
Hows his famacha?
Rumen sounds and motion? Gasses burps and chewing a cud?.
Does he grind his teeth? Do an fake like yawn?
One thing that popped in my head is perhaps he ate something like string that maybe binding in his intestines enough to cause a slight blockage.
The poop you described could have been tape worm or intestinal lineing shedding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! That poop was in August. Now he has pellets, but they're more cyndrical shape than round & not as much as his brother (I only have 2 goats). I will definitely send a fecal out to Meadowmist.
He does chew cud, actually A LOT of cud. But today has been SO RAINY and tomorrow will be too so he's been in his shed all day. Temp is normal.
I didnt think of him eating something like that. One thing that I thought of was rumen acidosis....perhaps some baking soda would help? I am just stumped and not ready to give up yet but the ups and downs since June have gotten to me and I know him, too. But the way he runs to me, tail wagging...no way could I have put him down yet. What could cause the intestinal lining to shed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! That poop was in August. Now he has pellets, but they're more cyndrical shape than round & not as much as his brother (I only have 2 goats). I will definitely send a fecal out to Meadowmist.
He does chew cud, actually A LOT of cud. But today has been SO RAINY and tomorrow will be too so he's been in his shed all day. Temp is normal.
I didnt think of him eating something like that. One thing that I thought of was rumen acidosis....perhaps some baking soda would help? I am just stumped and not ready to give up yet but the ups and downs since June have gotten to me and I know him, too. But the way he runs to me, tail wagging...no way could I have put him down yet. What could cause the intestinal lining to shed?
Also, famacha is at a 3....not bright pink but not white, which also made me think worms but neither vet seemed to check that or care to.

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
I dont blame you.. uou know him best and will know when he's had enough..
Intestinal shedding can happen when irritated by parasites, coccidia, and even Johnes disease. 4 years old is a prime time for symptoms to start. Testing won't hurt to rule it out.
I would start with the fecal and Johnes test. In the mean time I would give him daily Probiotics, b complex and Tummy Tamer 2 times a day, which I would add garlic and colostrum.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Cinnamon
Ginger
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
20-30cc water
Blend smooth with garlic and a 1/8 cup colostrum.
Colostrum can be fresh, or powder. Not replacer or supplement. You can get real powdered colostrum. If you use fresh cows colostrum be sure the herd is tested for Johnes...
Colostrum can help heal the gut 😉

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
None of these treatment will hurt him if not needed 😉

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I'll give it a try. What throws me off with Johnes is that they have a normal appetite but do not gain weight....he won't eat enough to gain weight so I'm at a loss.

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
Well he may not have Johnes, but it's good to rule it out. I would do both fecal and blood test to be accurate. To me sounds like he may have a slight blockage but it's very hard to say for sure as so many symptoms mimics different things, so we rule things out one by one..like Johnes, parasites, ect. If you pull blood for Johnes test I would use WADDl labs and use that sample to test CAE as well, again ruling stuff out one by one.
While you begin to chip away at ruling stuff out..we treat him to boost his immune system and rumen function.
If he seems to get more tummy issues..an x ray maybe in order to check his tummy for foreign objects. While not common in goats. Hardware disease is possible. Others in here may have other thoughts too.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,242 Posts
I know you want what's best for him..I sure hope this forum can help figure it out. He may not eat do to being uncomfortable in his tummy. Try hay, alfalfa and browse foods. He may need smoothies for calories but again..if it hurts to have too much in his tummy..i hate to force feed anything. I think before I did that I would have an x ray done to be sure of no blockage.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 10 of 10 Posts