The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been looking to this thread since June, when my goat first showed symptoms of being sick.
I should start off by saying we moved in March, so my goats are in a new pasture. In June, I noticed he went off grain. Weird for him, so I wormed him with Ivermectin then safeguard 10 days later and he seemed better. He still never wanted grain, but was happy grazing and eating hay. Fast forward to August, he got REALLY SICK. I am talking I thought I almost lost him. He had poop that looked like it had pieces of intestine in it hanging from his butt when the vet walked him into the clinic. They said it was urinary calculi and I didn't buy it so got a second opinion. He had a fever and the other vet said no urinary calculi. He gave him steroids, banamine, B12, and some SMZ for at home. He was doing poorly, I think the antibiotics upset his belly, but then perked up after antibiotics were over (still no grain). He is on probios, some B12 orally when needed. I should add the vet thinks he has Jones (spelling) Disease and that's why he is so thin when I tried telling him that he hasn't had grain since June, he wouldn't listen. I had a fecal done and all they look for were cocci which was normal. He became sick with a fever again this week, and I took him again to the vet where they suggest I put him down. They gave him some antibiotics to hold him over and a steroid until last Monday. He was doing great over the weekend so I couldn't bear to put him down.Well, he was 100X better yesterday (I wormed him with Ivermectin Wednesday morning). He was running, tail wagging, he was so happy grazing and I was on cloud nine and so grateful I gave him more time. However, tonight he was shivering, head hanging and just not feeling right. Does anyone have any insight for me? Its always highs and lows. Like eating makes him more sick than not eating.. He does poop but not a lot and he does pee just fine. Not sure what to do. I hate to give up on him but I am at a loss. Thanks so much for reading my long post & for your feedback!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! That poop was in August. Now he has pellets, but they're more cyndrical shape than round & not as much as his brother (I only have 2 goats). I will definitely send a fecal out to Meadowmist.
He does chew cud, actually A LOT of cud. But today has been SO RAINY and tomorrow will be too so he's been in his shed all day. Temp is normal.
I didnt think of him eating something like that. One thing that I thought of was rumen acidosis....perhaps some baking soda would help? I am just stumped and not ready to give up yet but the ups and downs since June have gotten to me and I know him, too. But the way he runs to me, tail wagging...no way could I have put him down yet. What could cause the intestinal lining to shed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! That poop was in August. Now he has pellets, but they're more cyndrical shape than round & not as much as his brother (I only have 2 goats). I will definitely send a fecal out to Meadowmist.
He does chew cud, actually A LOT of cud. But today has been SO RAINY and tomorrow will be too so he's been in his shed all day. Temp is normal.
I didnt think of him eating something like that. One thing that I thought of was rumen acidosis....perhaps some baking soda would help? I am just stumped and not ready to give up yet but the ups and downs since June have gotten to me and I know him, too. But the way he runs to me, tail wagging...no way could I have put him down yet. What could cause the intestinal lining to shed?
Also, famacha is at a 3....not bright pink but not white, which also made me think worms but neither vet seemed to check that or care to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I'll give it a try. What throws me off with Johnes is that they have a normal appetite but do not gain weight....he won't eat enough to gain weight so I'm at a loss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts