48 hour old baby with eye crusty

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I came home from work to find Lil Cottonwood (aka Cotton) with one eye almost sealed shut with green eye boogers. The other eye is totally fine - brother and all other goats' eyes are fine - do you think maybe she just got dirt and what not in it that made it irritated? I have never had pink eye here and she is not even 48 hours old yet?

It is real dusty up here right now - and for some reason mom keeps putting them on the "poo" pile (old straw bedding from winter in a pile) to have them hang out.

What would you all suggest? Should I get some eye antibiotic or give her some pen or .....???

Thanks
    Allison

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Maybe just a warm wet cloth to wipe her eye with, more than likely she got something in it and has been scratching at it, with you wiping it , you should see a difference, and if it continues to mat shut then I would go with an antibiotic ointment.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Carly's baby boy had that, I used a warm cloth to clean it out and then used some clear eyes to wash it out. I only had to do it twice and he was fine.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That happened a couple times with some of our kids. Just the warm cloth (we make it almost hot but not where it burns) to clean it. We got some eye drops from the vet but only needed to use it once as the warm cloth cleared it up. If I ever get an eye infection or some irritation, I do the same thing before running for antibiotics, it works great as the heat brings blood to clear up infection (if there is any).

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She might have just poked it or got some dirt in her eye. I would watch her extremely closely though. I have a friend who had a couple weaned kids. Had green crusty, mucousy stuff in their eyes and nose, she lost one kid and the other had to stay at the vets for 4 days. So just keep an eye on her! I'm sure she'll be alright!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I checked her eye last night and this morning and it is fine and no crusty icky stuff - so I think she just got some dust on it - thanks!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  8. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I'm a little late on this thread, but if you have any chamomile tea, moisten a teabag and use that as a compress in addition to the washcloth treatments. It's very soothing, and has natural healing ability. Glad to hear he's doing better!

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Great idea, goatmamma. I will remember that. . . .