4H 2021 Dairy goat project.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by mmahamilton, Sep 17, 2020.

1. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    07053757-1840-4F27-ADFF-14ACA713DFC1.jpeg 20FA3A6F-5CD6-471A-8DAC-ADFD61A26811.jpeg 1841CBB2-8747-48BA-A990-A33A7AD44B55.jpeg so here are some pics on my daughter’s 4H project for 2021. She’s a little small but I think with some good care she will do okay. She has the same sire as our ND wether that won reserve grand champion dairy wether. She is abt 3 1/2 months old. Her hoofs were a mess so she stands a little awkward on hard surfaces but after I trimmed them she looks a lot better. This weekend I’m going to work on them some more. Let me know what y’all think!

Iluvlilly! and ksalvagno like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Cute! Can't really tell much about conformation without being shaved and set up..... plus she is young and they change so much. She looks quite short and steep in the rump, but really take a pic of her in spring, shaved..... work on setting her up, leading, etc.... and she will do well for you in the ring.

Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  4. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    If her hooves are growing that fast I would look into giving her some copper. She's beautiful congratulations!

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    She's a cutie.

Needs a copper bolus (1 gram per 22lbs)

And I'd run a fecal for worms, especially cocci - she's a little scruffy and may be thin, but hard to tell without feeling her.

Iluvlilly! and HMNS like this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Can dairy 4h have horns where you are?

7. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    She is too thin in my opinion. I have a vet appt for her in a week and they are going to to check her for all parasites including lung worms (I'm not confident in my ability to do fecal test yet) I have been giving her calf mana for the time being.

goatblessings likes this.
  8. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Nope...she was supposed to be polled and sprouted those cute little things a couple of weeks ago after I had already agreed to let my daughter get her. Guess I will add it to my to do list for the vet. :(

9. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Thanks! I just don't think anyone had really checked her hoofs. She was covered in lice when I got a good look at her when I got her home and I treated that immediately. After about a week of good hay, probiotics, calf mana, oats, timothy pellets and minerals she is acting like a normal kid.

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    now would be the time for those buds to be burned off. I waited for one that long on accident and if she hadn't gotten numbing shots it would have been way harder on her.

goatblessings and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Getting those removed is at the top of the to do list. I just wish I could leave them but I know it it is a safety thing. I think I will have the vet sedate her when they r removed just so it's not too hard on her.

Kim McD and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I wouldnt sedate. Goats dont do well under anesthesia

Sfgwife and goatblessings like this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Goats really shouldn’t be sedated. They rarely come out of it.

14. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    For those saying sedation is horrible, let me say that goats have extremely low pain tolerances and there is no way they will be able to remove those horns without sedation at this point without causing EXTREME stress to that goat.
    Find a knowledgeable goat vet, be sure to fast your goat so rumen activity is low, and get her knocked out if you’re gonna take those horns off. While it is true that goats are a bit tricky to safely sedate, people sedate goats all the time and I personally have never actually heard of a goat dying under anesthesia.

mmahamilton and HMNS like this.
  15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Cute girl!

Before we did our own disbuddings, we’d take them to the vet. They would sedate the kids and then use a reversal agent. We’ve had 5 done this way, and two bucklings sedated for surgical castration and have not had any issues. Not to say they’re not sensitive and there is not risk, but we have had good experiences with knowledgeable vets.

HMNS and Kim McD like this.
  16. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    That's what my vet did when she surgically castrated one of our wethers. I'm real lucky that there are two very knowledgeable vets that specialize in goats at this office. I wouldn't really even be considering sedation but she is a little old to be disbudded.

17. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would first have a fecal run, get her in fabulous weight and condition and then do the dehorning. You don't want her having problems due to other issues.

HMNS likes this.
  18. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Just thought I would let everyone know that everything checked out good at the vet. The fecal came back great and she had gained 4lbs in the last week and a half! The only issue was she does have an upper respiratory infection and the vet gave her an antibiotic injection ( I think it was Draxxin) and her CDT
    Also, I'm going to get her disbudded Thursday. I really wish We could leave her horns. :(

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  19. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Well I just thought that I would post an update. LuLu did great when I had her disbudded and I only had to give her the meloxacam for 3 days afterwards. Her coat is starting to come in real good and I have noticed a slight shine to it. She has doubled her weight since I got her and the vet told me that she doesn't look like the same animal! She also told me that she can tell that I do an excellent job of caring for my animals and has no doubts That Lulu will be show quality by spring. This is some of the best news I have had in a while.

On the down side though, I am having trouble getting the paperwork I need to get her registered from the gal I bought Lulu from. I guess that the Dam is registered with the AGS and the Sire is registered with the ADGA and she seems to think I wont be able get Lulu registered because of this. I just think she doesn't want to fool with the paperwork. Shoot, all I'm asking for is a copy of the papers she has on the Dam and Sire and I will do the rest.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member