4H Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sunshineandtulip, Nov 13, 2007.

1. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have been asked to lead the goat project in my oldest girl's 4H club. Anyone been there done that??? Have any suggestion? I would be greatful for any and all info!
    Have a great night all!

2. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    NW Arkansas
    Hi Tonia - usually a project leaders role is to help the 4-H kids set goals, plan and learn about their particular animal (project). It depends on the size of your club and the number of kids who have goats but it would be great if you can plan specific activities, project meetings that cover aspects of goat keeping on a level that your 4-Her's understand. You can also expect to be the 'resident expert' when they need advice about care, etc of their animals. But don't worry, most leaders are learning as they go!!! The best place to start is with your local extension office -they should be able to point you to some resources to help you. Some offices just don't have the staff in order to do this but you can find some good articles on the internet. Also - don't know if you've seen these but there's a set of goat booklets published by the Nat'l 4-H office -we order them through our extension office but you can go to http://www.4-hmall.org and look under curriculum -these books have lots of ideas for learning activities. HTH and good luck!
    Ginger

3. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Thanks for the link.

4. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    We have a fairly large 4h group but only 5 of them are doing a goat project. I will be getting the books to help I just thought maybe if someone had done this before there was something that did or didn't work.. I have lots of resources for goats if I dont know the answer. Our leaders are very good and i think all the kids doing goat projects are at least 11 yrs old and older. So that should make it easier. My oldest girl is one of them and she already knows alot about them. She has been there every step of the way since we got ours 4 years ago. Thanks!!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Tonia,
    I am currently the leader for our whole county wide fiber club. I have a lot of fun and so do the kids. (so they say). When we first started the in the project, the first leader was wonderful, and she really made learning fun, then she got out and the next leader, well, it was really boring, then she got out and I took over. My mission was to have the kids learn as much as possible and have as much fun as possible. After all we know how kids will not stick wit hit if they are not having fun.
    The two other leaders always had the meetings at their house. Well that was fine for them, but when I took over we now rotate the meetings to the kids house, (if they can do it). Some people said they just can not have a meeting at their house, and that is just fine. The reasons I do it at the other houses, 1. we all see different set up. we see how they have their barns set ups, what they use for feeders, water etc. You can learn SO much form seeing what others use. Even just the simplest things. 2. When it is at the 4Hers house they have to TEACH us something for m our 4H kit. I do not care if they get everyone involved in learning the body parts, as long as they do something as get involved.
    The meeting we had just last Sunday we went over all the things that you might need in a med kit and the things for kidding.(the girls house that we did the meeting at, she has her med kit out so we could see all the she has, and see the different things you can put a Med Kit in, hers was a canvas bag, mine is a huge tool box.) We have a lot of new kids, so I ordered Catalogs from Jeffers, Caprine, Valley Vet and Haggarmeyer (sp). That way they had different options. I gave them all a list laminated to keep for them selves so they new what they needed. One was a list of stuff that you have to have, and then a list that you will need sometime, you know a expanded list.. The same for kidding. Then I got coffee cans and I taped the lids tight (tighter then Ft Knox) and I painted them, and I put a hole in the top. That way they all know where they should put all their used needles. then the kids decided to draw names for a secret Santa. December meeting they get the person they drew something personal (for the kids), then we will go to Jan and the get goat related items.
    I have field trips set, we are going to a fiber mill, so they learn what happens to their fiber when they send it off to be cleaned. we do a parade,and we do Showmanship clinics.
    I hope that will help. I have so much fun doing this. I was asked when my daughter is out of 4H am I going to step down as the leader? NO WAY, unless someone else wants to do it. I am not doing this just for my daughter, I am doing this because I LOVE the animals, and I love helping the kids.

6. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Wow Lori sounds like you are doing a great job. Gave me immediate ideas!! Thank you SO much!!! This is our first year to be involved in 4H so that is why I am a little intimidated but I am a quick learner. We have mainly milk goats and I think a few of them are doing meat. But to me they can be combined because we have both. Anyways thanks for sharing Lori! That sounds great! I guess I do have one thing going for me is I can relate to kids well and I have had alot of kids thru my goat pen!! LOL friends bring their kids out to see our goats all the time. So that will help me. I deal better with kids sometimes then some adults!!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I would never of done this my first year. It took three years, and the second year I was like a CO Leader.
    You will do fine. I have even done some meetings with the Pygmy group, but the leader there thinks her goats are so much better then us, and she does not to do any more with us.
    So we do them by ourselves. It is a shame because I do have kids that do both goats, and that would be easier. Plus she is one of those people that believe it is always only her way.
    I am totally excited for you. Please let us know how things are going.

8. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    LOL well I tend to jump in and take on the whole thing at once!! Actually I never intend to do that It just happens that way! My friends say its just because I am bossy!! LOL J/K actually they say I am good at organizing stuff like this . Of course I love goats too. This is also the first year for a goat project for anyone in the group. I have had mine for 4 years and the leaders just got theirs last year I think... But goats is one of the reasons we got into 4H to help with showing next year. I will be sure to let you all know how it goes! I am just glad its only 5 kids. Thanks Lori!

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Leading a 4-h group can be a lot of fun. I have been doing it for several years now. I started out being a member and then went on to hold an office, later went on to be a jr. leader. and am now a leader. AS others have said its a learning experience for you and the kids. Depending on the age of your members there are a lot of things you can do to teach. I have found most kids enjoy hands on. Games field trips and so on can be lots of fun. Over the years we have been to an auction yard a working dairy, a kinder goat farm and a couple of shows.
    Games are a great hand on learning experience. and of course showmanship quiz bowls and so on.We try to have our meetings at different peoples house like lori does. Like she said its a great way for kids to show off their goat facilities. and their goats. During the winter we tend to stay in the barn or house. Games are invented. Last month we had a child do a part game. They drew a big goat on some tag board and there were velcrow dots on all the parts. The kids had to draw parts and work together to figure out where they went. It was great fun. We have all sorts of goats involved in this group from fiber to pyhmey to boer to dairy. We try to include everyone. We go on hikes during the summer with the kids that have pack goats. Any other members are welcome to come along. Even if you have a doe. Its a great way for the kids to talk to people too. We always get stopped on the trail/ The kids get to answer all sorts of questions about goats.
    At the fair we have a big wall over the milk stand thst we do a group educational display on. the kids all get together to take pictures make posters all sorts of stuff. Every year its different. We did it on goats in the colonial days one year milk goats another year, how goats got to america. All the different breeds...anything is possible.

beth

10. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I think they are all older then 11 so that makes it easier to me. I wish we had a working dairy closer to us.

11. mthalpines

mthalpines New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Central Minnesota
    I started out as a 4H-er, and my mom started being the county-wide Goat Project leader. I graduated 4H 7 years ago, and started helping Mom.

A lot of what we do is make sure the goat project members get their voices heard when the 4H honchos start looking for things that the other livestock kids need.

We have set up county-wide project days, where we have animals there for the children to work with, and talk about anything that they want to know. We even had my dad grill some goat meat and goat sausages once--that went over very well. All we have in our county are dairy goats, and meat goats.

Also, let your members know that if they do have questions about anything, they can call you.

12. sunshineandtulip

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks so much! I do plan on giving them my contact info so I can help them out however I can. I like all the advice I have gotten so far. I am excited!!