The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found some Awesome looking 4th crop alfalfa hay. It's in big bales (which I kinda dispise) but the guys asking $200/ton for big bales and $320/ton for small bales, so big bales it is! Anyways, the relative feed value is probably thru the roof on it because it was cut and baled at peak time and its 4th crop. Since I haven't had my goats very long, I'm not too knowledgeable on nutrition yet. Is the 4th crop going to be too rich for them?? The protein level is probably pretty high. I have 1 milking oberhasli and 2 companion wethers and 1, 5month old jersey heifer calf. So I was thinking if I could feed this hay I would put the calf and the doe together and then the 2 wethers can get the grassier hay I have and the doe and calf can get the good 4th crop for winter. That won't be "too much" will it?? I don't want them to get diahrea from it. It might be slightly too much for my calf so it probably won't be fed free choice. Maybe ill just feed it at night and the grassier stuff free choice during the day.
What do you think??
For the price, it's a steal-

·
14,615 Posts
Great price go for it! If you give them the grass hay with they should be ok. or 3rd cut if you have it.
On occasion mine have had 4th, but they are used to 3rd cut & they had no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have either some Oat/alfalfa new crop hay that's okay but its nothing impressive that's for sure. Or I have some 70/30 grass/alfalfa really soft 3rd crop that's nice too. That's what i'm feeding now.
So I guess I will probably get some then. If the guy wants to screw around with just 2 bales. Some people won't even bother for 2 bales, but That's all I need to make it thru the winter and should be enough til July next year.
Thanks,

*** It's in Wisconsin. The price of hay is only going to go higher and higher. Especially here because of winter kill, and now it's been super dry the past 2 months so that doesn't help. On top of no carry over from last year because of the drought. So I think i'll be snatching this up at $200/ton before he changes the price.

·
2,203 Posts
$200/ton is extremely excellent!!

Bales are $120 3rd crop right now, better than past winter!! I'm in Wisconsin. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah crud! I just called the guy and it's sold already. I shouldn't have waited this long and should've called a few days ago when I was going too. That really stinks- there's some other stuff I found that isn't as great but still nice. But it's like $275/ton-which isn't TOO bad, but I should've bought it! I'm totally kicking myself right now :mad:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
So I found some Awesome looking 4th crop alfalfa hay. It's in big bales (which I kinda dispise) but the guys asking $200/ton for big bales and $320/ton for small bales, so big bales it is! Anyways, the relative feed value is probably thru the roof on it because it was cut and baled at peak time and its 4th crop. Since I haven't had my goats very long, I'm not too knowledgeable on nutrition yet. Is the 4th crop going to be too rich for them?? The protein level is probably pretty high. I have 1 milking oberhasli and 2 companion wethers and 1, 5month old jersey heifer calf. So I was thinking if I could feed this hay I would put the calf and the doe together and then the 2 wethers can get the grassier hay I have and the doe and calf can get the good 4th crop for winter. That won't be "too much" will it?? I don't want them to get diahrea from it. It might be slightly too much for my calf so it probably won't be fed free choice. Maybe ill just feed it at night and the grassier stuff free choice during the day.
What do you think??
For the price, it's a steal-
All you can do is try, but do that very carefully. We raise alfalfa and grass/alfalfa hay and I cannot feed our 4th cutting alfalfa - whether straight or mixed with grass - to anything but the weaning kids. It bloats the mature does. I'm not sure why I can feed it to the weaning kids - maybe because they are always running around and playing, therefore work off the gas? I try very hard to stay away from 4th cutting.

·
2,203 Posts
Interesting. We always feed out a rumen buffer (baking soda or actual buffer in a container) with their hay. Especially important over 2nd crop.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. I love 4th cutting. It's usually pretty ideal alfalfa...at least for around here. We grow our own hay for for the local dairies and feedlots. I always like to keep a 3rd or 4th cutting if possible to get me to the next year. My goats do fabulous on it and there's a lot less waste. I always recommend a 3rd or 4th cutting over a 1st or 2nd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts