The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had her disbudded at 2 weeks of age & she got really down & her knees swelled up(very mushy like) & she became weak in her back legs.the vet,who also did the disbudding,prescribed penicllin,benamine,& penacure twice a day for 3 days.she improved drastically to the point she began playing with the other kidds.but then took a backset so after reading some posts i got a shot of nuflor & benamine combined from the vet.she walks around some but doesn't really seem to be improving.any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
Things that come to mind.

Get a temp on her first.
Joint ill, start treatment right away, the symptoms match.

Possible selenium deficiency.

Or toxins from infection from disbudding? Any bad odor from there?

Have her fecal tested for worms and cocci.

Is she eating drinking OK?
Still on momma or being bottle fed?

Have her fecal tested for worms and cocci.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply.she had a fever but that is gone now.eyelids are good & red,but will go ahead & get a fecal monday.got baycox on order so will be giving her that soon.gave her b complex shot as well.what else can i do for joint ill beside the nuflor/benamine shot?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have to agree with Pam, as you were saying what her symptoms were all I could think of was Joint Ill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well,i've been giving her 2 doses of penicillin at 1 cc each day.the swelling in her knees is going down & she moves around more than before.she is eating well (momma + snacks after each shot) & she's growing like a weed!but she still favors her back leg,though she does switch out between the two.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
I would think joint ill as well...with joint ill you have to be aggressive...sounds like she began to respond to treatment....either keep up the pen ..1 cc per 20#, which you may need to go longer with or switch to Nuflor or Baytril...both are good Baytril is stronger...you need to do one shot every day for 10 days...Banamine once a day for three days then see if she will benefit from another few days..

I have seen Penicillin work..but it takes longer...which is OK if its working...Be sure to give probiotic 3-4 house after each dose...with having to go so long on antibioitcs its important to help the flora in her gut...

best wishes

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
give probiotic 3-4 house after each dose...with having to go so long on antibioitcs its important to help the flora in her gut...

best wishes
I agree with all you mentioned.

Is the word 3-4 "House" suppose to me meant as 3-4 "Hours"?

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
Is the word 3-4 "House" suppose to me meant as 3-4 "Hours"?
yep LOL...I might type fast but just not very well lol...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts