4wk old bottle kid, diarrhea wont go away!...UPDATE...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sarah, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    I have a 4wk old Nubian buckling that I'm bottle feeding. He has diarrhea and acting normal otherwise. I have done some research so here's what info I have to offer. Keep in mind I have only owned goats since Sept. 2010. He was brought down to 2 bottles a day at 3 wks. 20oz 2x day 8am and 10pm. On Monday he took his am bottle no problem, refused pm bottle, took about 2oz the next morning and so I just tried to feed him whenever he would take the bottle every time I went out there which was about every 30min. to an hour. All together he ate about 10oz on Tuesday then the same wed. and Thurs. Friday he took about 20oz all day and the same since then. He will eat a little hay and wont eat grain of any sort. I tried sweet feed also for the molasses...nothing. He has had diarrhea since Monday and I've been giving him electrolyte mix for kids I found at TSC that also slows the diarrhea down @ 3.5oz 2-3 x day. He takes that fine. He wags his tail when he does eat and will try to suck on my fingers in between times but wont take his bottle when offered. He plays normal, acts normal, sounds normal, sleeps normal. Not wormy or anything like that. The diarrhea is yellowish to greenish in color. His eyelids are pink and acts like a healthy little boy. He has had his formula changed 3 times in his 4 short wks of life because the previous owner ran out of re-placer and found out it wasn't going to be shipped in for another wk so she switched to calf re-placer which made him throw up ALOT!! And that's when i got him and put him on kid re-placer. I didn't know what else to do!!! So I think that is his problem but I'm worried about the non stop diarrhea. He doesnt appear to be losing weight (i dont have a scale). He is not bloated. What should i do?

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Re: 4wk old bottle kid, diarrhea wont go away!

Yellowish loose stools in young kids usually means a digestive issue. Are you absolutely SURE he got colostrum as a newborn? I am not familiar with the particular replacer you are using but it is a very good chance that it is causing the problems, possibly it is too rich, or not rich enough, or too much fat, alot of variables with kid replacer. I have had the best luck with Vitamin D Whole milk. It is always the same the USDA assures us of that, if you believe what they say. I would suggest switching him to whole milk, very slowly. Start by mixing 25% with your present formula. The gradually add more and more until he is completely on Whole milk. As you get nearer to complete whole milk, if he still has loose stools, and they are consistently the same color, add A LITTLE baby cereal with rice to the milk. This will Stop scours caused by digestive problems. Once the scours are cleared up go back to just whole milk. I wouldn't add the cereal to your replacer, as I have never tried it and I refuse to suggest "untried Theories", in my book anyway. This whole process I would think should take maybe 5 days(?). If he gets to the point of being on whole milk and still scouring even after the rice cereal then you will have a few different options. But lets see if this doesn't clear it up before going down the medical pin cushion road....JMO
    ...let me add: I would never force him to take a bottle. If he doesn't want it dump it and try again at his next scheduled feeding, forcing him is never good. Give him free choice hay and some good kid pellets. If he is hungry he will eat hay and pellets,if he doesn't want them then he will be really ready for his next bottle.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011

Has he been tested for coccidiosis?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

That's what I was going to ask.

take a stool sample to your vet (dog and cat vet can run the fecal) and ask them to check for worms and coccidia.

Could be all the changes in feed but also the amounts. Cut back to 8 -10 ounces per feeding and feed 4 times a day. 20 ounces is way to much per feeding and can cause the stomach and digestive upset.

5. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

scour caused by coccidiosis would be a dark red to black color because it is digested/or partially digested blood.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Not always - I've had many cases where the color didn't match up to what the books say it will look like. Plus once it does get to that stage there is extensive damage and why wait when a fecal can determine if cocci is the cause or not right now. I've even had kids have total normal pellets and still be loaded with coccidia. So to me poo color is not a determining factor to rule it out in this case.

7. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma

Thank you everyone for your advice! Im sure he did get his colostrum. I got him from my sister in law who got him from a "dairy breeder", who told us he did. I will take a fecal to our vet and see what he says. His feeding is gradually going back to normal but diarrhea is still there. I was giving him 20oz twice daily because thats what all my research had said to do. So i will do as you suggested and switch to whole milk. Im going to call the vet now. I will let you know.

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011

I have read that the first diahrea signs of cocci is actually green. Only when so much damage is done does it turn black/red. She did mention that he sometimes has green stool. It would be best to test now, and not wait.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree....... :thumb: also... what we always thought was a sign with cocci "scouring"... we now find ... in some adults ...they don't show this.....but only waste away...(loose condition) no matter how feed...... :(

10. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma

OK, vet says no cocci, no worms. His diarrhea is most likely all the food changes. But I started the whole milk already. I gave him 6oz re-placer to 2oz whole milk plus his electrolyte med (3.5oz). I will feed him again at 6pm the same thing. Also his poop is yellowish green, kinda dark mustard color. not like infection green. He also has a pen mate and she has normal berries, i guess you call them. lol! Maybe I'm just over reacting. i just know that diarrhea for long periods can cause harm. Oh, and the re-placer I use is Advance brand from Atwoods. It's for kids and lambs.

11. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

If you could post a link I would also like to "read" this as I have never seen it...3 causes of scours in young kids: -Bacterial, E.coli; -Parasitic,coccidiosis or another parasite; -Non-infectious,diet or drug induced....3 treatments. Scour-halt,spectinomycin for bacterial. Sulafadimethoixine or another dewormer, parasitic. Diet change or stomach buffer, non-infectious. Unless I can specifically rule out one from the others I assume diet. If there is no change then dimethoxine then scour-halt. This is based on what I DO...not something that I read...And I will agree older animals do not always have the tell-tale signs of coccidiosis and should be handled differently. My post is based on My Own farm history, being everywhere is somewhere else an exact diagnosis and subsequent treatment would be the next thing to impossible. But laying out the potential causes and treatments seems like a good idea....JMO...There are as many opinions as there are goat ranchers and there is a hoard of Wrong information based on something someone read somewhere and then posted as a "pseudo-fact"....again jmo

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Sarah Im glad he doesnt have any parasites that would make things much more difficult but sounds like you have a direction and hopefully the whole milk will work for you (never had good results with it myself though I know others have).

Give him 6-10cc of pepto to firm up his stools so he doesnt get dehydrated.

13. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma

Stacey, you read my mind. I was just about to look up dosage on pepto for him. I got some while I was out. As well as other things to start a goat first aid kit. Thanks for that! I have heard that whole milk wasn't good for goats but I am also learning as I go, so any advice, opinions, suggestions are welcome!! I didnt plan on having a whole herd of goats but when I got the first few I fell in love with them all!! Now I cant get enough of them! How often should I give him the pepto?

14. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
    UPDATE.... OK, he is almost up to half whole milk and half replacer now and my little mans poop has changed to a good normal color and is getting some solidity to it!! Its more gloppy than runny now..if that makes since.... So I guess he is doing better? Does that seem normal?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    gloppy...is better than watery.... it isn't quite back to normal.....but... that is improvement... :thumb:

16. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Olive, Oklahoma
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California