5 day heat? Or not?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by QotL, Nov 1, 2008.

1. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I'm confused. I'm a newbie, and this is my first time getting my goats bred.

Loopa was with the buck on Monday and Tuesday. I saw him "get her" several times, saw the hunch from her. Wednesday she had some thick white goo stuck on her. All looked good.

Today she's acting like she's in heat again. I assumed this was the 'five day heat' thing, so put her back in with the buckling this morning. She wouldn't leave him alone, but was being very aggressive! She kept trying to hook his head and legs with her horns, even stuck her head under his belly to hook him there. When he would get sick of it and walk away, she would follow, calling to him, and continue to try to hook him. I was really afraid he would get hurt, so I pulled him out. He did get her once, although I didn't see him throw his head back (she was walking and he fell to his knees.. poor boy). She did hunch.

Did she get bred the first time or not? And should I assume this is "day 1" of a heat cycle and put them back in together? She didn't act like this at all on Monday/Tuesday. She flagged like crazy for him (more than she was doing this morning, but she is flagging). She didn't flirt as much at the beginning of the week, but she was flirting (every time she looked at him her little tail would go 1,000mph!). She didn't act aggressive at all before.

I don't quite know what to make of this. Both her and my older doe generally like him. Even though they didn't act like they were in heat after Wednesday, they still talked to him through the fence, and everyone sleeps on either side (their choice, not mine). I just went out to check, and my girl isn't mooning over him, isn't hanging out next to him. She's doing her own thing.

What the heck is this? lol! Is she bred, or not? I already have an appt to have him wethered as soon as I'm sure he's done his job (will wait for another heat cycle, but now I don't know whether to wait another 2 weeks or another 3??).

I did read the 5 day heat sticky, but still don't quite know whether this is really a heat or not?

Thanks!
    Meghan

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I believe she should be bred..............at standing heat for 2 days ...all the signs and seeing the deed and actions.............I would think she should be good......when she is being mean like trying to horn him..........I would say she is just telling him ...... to get away from her...I do not want you and ..I do not want you in my space.....some does do that.....
    The flagging part............when they are in an aggressive state of mind they do tail wag.......watch the bucks or even does as they butt heads.....and challenge......each other :)

If I am wrong .........someone correct me............. :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she easily could have been bred both times. Count from the last "heat" before wethering him though.