The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So I'm new to the whole goat raising thing but have managed to fall into rescuing kids. The first one was four days old and all but dead. Even the vet didn't think he would make it. He did survive and is now almost 8 weeks and is horribly rotten but very healthy. Same people I got him from called earlier this week and had another buckling that the doe had dropped him and a twin in the field and left them in a storm. The doeling died before I got involved. Well anyways, I got the baby home and he was already in rough shape, very weak and dehydrated, didn't get any colostrum. So I was going over him when I got him home, giving him fluids and such and found that his front right leg was broken right above the knee. Completely broke and not a clean break but didn't break skin. I gave him a dose of exceed and splinted it so the whole leg was immobilized but still weight bearing. He's doing very well health wise, eating, going to the bathroom, regulating his own temp etc, but I'm concerned about the leg. How long do I need to keep it splinted? Will it heal? Can I give him something for pain at 4lbs? I appreciate the suggestions but I don't need to be told to take him to the vet, that's not in the books and he's healthy and mobile. I just need to know how well goats recover from these type injuries. I know they can be amazingly resilient. He's not gonna be a show goat or a breeding goat, he'll be wethered at 12 weeks and kept as a pet. His good leg is rather bowed as well so hopefully goats can get along well that way?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
he looks pretty good...baby aspirin will help with any discomfort..I would check him for fever daily which will help you know if the leg has become infected...I would leave the splint on for at least four weeks..but you will need to check him weekly to see if it needs adjusted or larger as he grows...
He needs a Tetenus antitoxin shot which is less than $5 .....2 cc sub Q
I would also grab a tube of Selenium Vit. E gel from tractor supply...
B complex is a great support Vitamin...
best wishes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How much baby aspirin and what's the best way to administer it? And should I give him cdt vaccine or just tetanus?
Upon arrival, he was treated with 4ccs of nutri drench and some dextrose and subq fluids. He wouldn't suckle and had diarrhea. He was tube fed and given fluids for a while. He now has a hearty appetite and will take the bottle well, the diarrhea has cleared up and he gets along fairly well on his peg leg;)

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
one baby aspirin a day...crushed with enough water to drench...I would give the tetanus..not CD&T..
you seem to be doing very well with him : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts