The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a first for me. My well seasoned Dame has 2 ,5 day old kids, they are nursing, but are not get fat a cute. They are also not bouncy like normal either. They look like they are just getting enough. To eat. Should I supplement with a bottle? If so how often. Dame is taking care of them and seems be doing good other wise.

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Yes, I agree, I would supplement if needed. Use whole cows milk if you don't have extra goats milk. Be careful not to over feed. Start with 2 extra feedings and see how they do. Karen asked good question on mom, whats her condition? was she dewormed after kidding? Whats her diet? is she hydrated? all these can effect milk production.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Milk out the doe just a bit and check the milk for odor of any visual discoloration or clumps. Take the her rectal temperature and check FAMACHA score. If she has successfully raised twins previously then there is a health issue affecting her milk supply.

Definitely offer 3 ounces or so of goat milk from another doe or whole cows milk heated to 100*F to both kids and see if you can convince them, it will take a bit of patience but if they are truly hungry they will succumb. Check the rectal temperature of both kids and try to observe a poop from both to see if that looks normal .

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Selenium and vitamin e paste for young if dam is all okay. Can't hurt giving anyway. Small dollop on finger, give to kid.

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Do watch tummies when supplementing since they are also nursing mom. You don't want the tummies to be too poochy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You might also consider Fir Meadows' "MilkMaid" product. It helps with milk production and increases amount of butterfat in the milk.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do watch tummies when supplementing since they are also nursing mom. You don't want the tummies to be too poochy.
translation: watch for constipation (sign is poochy or rounded out tummy) and needing an enema.

If mom is taking care of them but you feel like they need supplementing, it's so much less work to supplement, than to take them and make full bottle babies out of them. We've done both and there's no comparison between the amount of work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mom is cleaning them and they do nurse. Mom looks good. Temps good. I can get them to take some milk replacer by bottle. So I will that way for now ,and keep all informed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about double three. It was accidental. Bottle feeding babies. The male is doing much better. Female still week, but she has a snotty nose. So gave her antibiotics. Drench. Probiotics, and selinium plus vti. E. Anything else I should do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts