5 down - 2 more left for summer! Woo Hoo!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    As far as Summer kidding, we are rounding out with only 2 girls left out of 7 and both are due within the next 2 weeks.

Here is what we have had so far.

Spring 08

Unregistered Nigerian - twins (buckling - sold, doeling - retained)
    Unregistered Pygmy - single buckling - deceased
    Unregistered Nigerian - triplets (2 bucklings - 1 deceased, 1 sold, doeling - sold)
    Kinder - single doeling - sold

Summer 08

Unregistered Pygmy - single doeling - sold
    Registered Nigerian - twins (1 buckling - retained, 1 doeling - sold)
    Registered Nigerian - Quads (3 bucklings - 2 deceased, 1 sold, 1 doeling - deceased)
    Boer/Saanan X - single doeling - retained for the moment
    Boer/Saanan X - twin bucklings (one possibly reserved - other is meat)

Left to kid within next two weeks -

Pygmy, bred to Nigerian
    Registered Nigerian

I am so glad that this season is almost over. I am taking a full load of classes and working full time on top of the farm - aghhh!
  2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I don't know how you do it, work, school, goats? I'm going to start working again soon, but luckily our office will only be 5 minutes from home. And, I will have the luxury of being able to go home if I feel my animals need me. And at first we'll only be seeing patients 2 days/week, so it's not like I'm chained to the desk for 40 hours a week.

On a more interesting note, I have two goats due soon (?), just cleaned the kidding stall today and put Angel and Bambi in there. Got the baby moniter on. All ready! Then I have two more does due in October. That will be it for '08.

I've kept the 2 Nigerian doelings and 4 Cashmere doelings. But all the boys and Pygoras are sold. :clap: I'm really going to need another Nigerian buck soon.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I work 40 minutes each way from the ranch, but with gas, I have been carpooling with my hubby. Which means I get to work an hour early, then wait at least 1 hour after work for him to pick me up then drive home. I work minimum 40 hours per week. I am in my Jr. Year towards my Bachelors in Social Work and 2 different professional technical certificates for reception. 2 of my classes are on campus and the others are online - so I am gone during work hours 2 days a week for 3 hours each day, so I work through my lunch breaks and then an extra hour of Friday.

I look forward to my time with my animals along with the weekends, for sure!
  4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh man :GAAH: You're making me tired just thinking about it. Since we moved Hubby's drive is only about 7-8 minutes longer then before, but that makes it 30 minutes with traffic and he HATES it. It will be nice to transition to our own little office...I think we'll be doing it sooner rather than later. But, remember, we are no longer young...we had to work hard to get to this point...and we will for a while longer...but then :stars:
  5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    Wow Allison! What a schedule! I work 40 hrs a week and I am tired after that, I couldnt imagine going to school too. I admire you for it!
  6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :stars: Only 2 left!! Bet you just can't wait! I'm so glad...I'm all finished with kidding. I'm always so releived when it's all over! Although it's so much fun, I love to have that break and not have to worry about anything. I have 4 months off then we have a couple does due in Jan. Then it starts up again in March. I'm excited though! Glad to have my break!
  7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I haven't decided when I am going to breed yet for next spring / summer.

With the past winter we had, I am real hesitant to have anything before April, but then you run into the "everyone has babies for sale". I really enjoyed having my early babies and then my late babies as it was not the "typical" kidding time and they all sold so quickly...... but we will see! I have to wait for Turner to mature anyway!
  8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Man! What a schedule! Definitely admirable! This month has been crazy busy. I do a lot of volunteer work (70-130 hrs. a month) it's something I really enjoy doing though and don't mind it a bit. :) It's flexible too so that's good. I have to drive down to my aunt and uncle's farm to take care of most the herd (we don't live on acreage). So, that takes time but I get to see my family (grandparents & cousins) so it's all good in the end. :) Thankfully, I am able to make money from the goats and soap-making but I'd like to get a part-time job soon.

Anywho, we hopefully have one more doe due in September, then two in November, one in December, and three that just got bred for January babies - I'm going to breed a couple yearling does for late January - February kids. Can't wait to see my FF udders!! :) Hopefully I get those two new does, one would be bred to Lancelot for March kids and the other to Royal Blue for early summer kids. I want them so bad! But then, I think - should I??? Anyways. . . . all these decisions are so hard to make. :)