5 mo old diary weather with the runs

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    HI :) everyone, my sweet little boy Bryce born April 22 has the runs, :sigh: he had them about 2 weeks ago at that time we gave him pepto for 3 days and he got over it. But now they are back worse then before, and he is crying (well that is what is sounds like) a lot.. So we started him back on the pepto Saturday and dewormed everyone(using panacure which I got from the vets office), what else should I be doing for him and how much pepto is okay and for how long or is there something better...

he is a mix dairy breed, so he is Alpine, Nubian, Sannan cross and weights 39 lbs.that is by using a tape measure and a weight chart. and now thinking about that he should be weighting more then that, any ideas.

Hate to see my little guy not feeling well..

Thank you - I know I will get great help here, I always do...
    Donna B

2. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I just read that they should gain 10 mo a month so if he weighed 8 lbs at birth he should weigh 58 lbs now at 5 mo old.. okay I need to get busy getting weight on this little guy, all the goat run together so he may not be getting his share of the hay, Okay some grain is in order, should I wait till he is over the runs or what HELP!

I will tell you someone told me they did not grain anyone except pg does, not even there babies, and they all did well, so I tried it I guess for Bryce this was not a good idea... I am so mad at my self... :hair:

Donna B

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I am definitely not an expert, but my young goats had coccidia. Their only symptom was clumpy poop, but many goats will get the runs and not gain weight at a steady rate. I would suggest getting a fecal float done to find out what you are dealing with . . . if it is coccidia (which is a protozoa, not a worm), you can buy the medicine from Tractor Supply or a farm bureau. We tried Corid first, but it did not work for us . . . Sulmet finally did the trick. I would start with a fecal float so that you treat appropriately.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Have you had a fecal done? Maybe it is cocci....also, I know here panacur does nothing for my guys.......a fecal would let you know what your dealing with......whether it be worms and what kind.... or cocci.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.....I recommend getting a fecal done....that way.. you will know... exactly what you are dealing with... cocci... if left untreated can stunt growth ...make them lose weight and can do alot of damages within their bodies....or even kill them....His pain.. could be caused from it.. :(

Take away the grain... until the scours are under control ...then introduce it back slowly....when all better... good luck :wink: :greengrin:

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I gave him some maylox (SP) last night and he was more soild this morning- but I took a sample in to the vet and they are running test on it now will call me shortly to let me know, I have already ck no one in town or out of town has the stuff any one said to get, if it is coccidia so may have to get something from the vet and order the other stuff.

Thank you will let you know what I find out.

Donna B

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Donna how's your guy this am? Pepto is great stuff but if he has something more serious it will just cover up the symtoms.
    I keep a botle of sulfadimethoxine on hand (vet Rx) Finally had to use it just a few weeks ago, one came down with runs cleared up then another, got her cleared then her sister.
    Panacur I hear doesnt work in alot of places please ask vet for something thats really going knock out any worm infestation. :hug:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am happy you took a sample in.... :hug: ....your vet will recommend a treatment...if your goatie has cocci or??? Good luck..... :hug:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Pepto or maylox is jsut going to mask the symptom and not take care of the issue. Glad you took a sample in for a fecal.... I would get Sulmet or Dimethox or corid to treat cocci

10. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Hi Everyone the vets office called and said he does have Coccidiosis not super bad, but enough to treat it so we are using Smz/Tmp 960 mg (Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim) 1/2 a tab 1x a day, for 8 days..

I dewored everyone with Panacure on Saturday and they said to do it again in 3 week. what do you guys find that works for you?

Donna B

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad he is on a treatment rutine now :)

As to worming -- unless they have worms I dotn worm them. And when you do worm do a second does 7-10 days later to get teh hatching eggs.

As to the wormers I use -- I like Ivermectin, but in some areas it isnt effective though. ITs a broad spectrum wormer as apposed to panacure which is less effetive against a wide range of worms. Ivermectin doesnt take care of tapeworms though.

12. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Ivermectin- do you give it orally or as a shot, I have used it as a shot before and oh did most of them scream, then I had a friend the other day give it orally and she said they did just fine with it and the one she was worried about is doing much better...

So oral or shot?

Donna B

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I give ivomec orally, just remove the needle off a syringe

14. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    thank you~ how much do you give?

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1218&start=0

There is a variety of wormers that we all have used on our goats listed in the link above.

Ivomec injectible is one of them and is given at 1cc per 20lbs orally