The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday, Cinnamon is shaking and weak on her legs. All her hair is on end, and when I massage her belly, she seems in pain. I don't think she is bloated, but gave her baking soda water anyway.

She's still wanting to eat, but I haven't seen poo or pee recently. I will get her temp soon.

Any ideas?

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She's also standing in the corner, and very quite for her vocal little self. :confused:

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her gums are light pink, & eyelids are medium pink.

I took her temperature 4 times - using 2 thermometers - because I was sure I had gotten the reading wrong. They were: 106.4, 106.8, 106.2, and 106.6. :eek:

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called her former owner, she said I should make a vet trip. No! more $$$$$$......

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have a suggestion?

I did call the vet, and am waiting on a call back.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
She needs to be on antibioitcs...OTC choice is Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours..Banamine to reduce fever...cool rags under her arm pit arm pit area and head..no soaking wet..just cool...keep her in the shade..and well hydrated...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm, the vet was adamant that it was from eating too much grain? Could he have diagnosed pneumonia from listening to her lungs?
He said it wasn't bloat, but the extra grain upset the PH level and killed off bacteria? :confused:

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Did he also put her on C D antitoxin? if she was ill from too much grain...she would need that...with enterotoxemia they can have fever...But with such a high fever I would suspect pneumonia as well..it certainly wont hurt to treat for both...

How is she feeling today?

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She looks the same, but is a little more attentive. Her temperature is 102.5. She belly still seems painful.

No, he did not give C D Antitoxin.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
That puzzles me...with any rumen interruption that is the first thing to give!
Check for rumen function...you should hear grumbling, hear gasses being passed...she should be chewing a cud...if these signs are weak or not happening then I would get her on C D Antitoxin...with her tummy being painful...I would use it any way..
Her temp is good...I would be sure to continue antibiotics for a full 5 days
Give her B complex to help with appetite and energy..
offer her green leaves and hay..I wouldn't give grain right now..
fix her some electrolytes to encourage drinking..
a good dose of Probiotics 3-4 hours after each antibiotic shot...to restore flora in her rumen..

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I agree.

And yes, if a goat is down, it makes them more susceptibleto other illnesses and it was quite high.

Glad it is in a normal range now.

I don't think your vet is really goat smart. A lot of them aren't sadly. Glad you can to us for advice. ;)

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That puzzles me...with any rumen interruption that is the first thing to give!
Check for rumen function...you should hear grumbling, hear gasses being passed...she should be chewing a cud...if these signs are weak or not happening then I would get her on C D Antitoxin...with her tummy being painful...I would use it any way..

Her rumen doesn't sound that great, but I don't have any C D antitoxin :( can I order it from somewhere, or get it from the vet?

Her temp is good...I would be sure to continue antibiotics for a full 5 days

the antibiotic he gave supposedly lasts for 5 days

Give her B complex to help with appetite and energy..

will do

offer her green leaves and hay..I wouldn't give grain right now..

sounds great

fix her some electrolytes to encourage drinking..

yup, did that

a good dose of Probiotics 3-4 hours after each antibiotic shot...to restore flora in her rumen..

on the way!
My answers are in red :)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Order the CD Antitoxin and in the mean time grab some Milk of Magnesia...this will help bind toxins in her gut...its 15 cc per 60# ..this may cause the trotts..let it run its course a bit as it cleanses out the toxins..keep her well hydrated...
I agree with Pam..she needs a 5 day Antibiotic....Tylan 200 for OTC 1 cc per 25# sub Q every 12 hours... or Nuflor which is RX 3 cc per 100# once a day sub Q

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/poisoningandtoxi.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts