The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 5 month old buckling who is not eating. Just came through a coccidia treatment, ended treatment 3 days ago. Treated with VitB and Corrid, as per vets order. Temp is 101.9. Ate well this morning, grain and hay, lost weight due to coccidia, but seemed to be bouncing back. Refused to eat grain tonight, but bright eyed and playful. Rubbed gums with corn syrup and he licked my fingers clean, also gave him dose of safeguard as we were battling worms before the coccidia. His full brother is doing fine, eating, drinking, gaining weight, etc., both had coccidia at weaning. Suggestions please, he is my sons 4H buck he wants to use for breeding his does. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Give him b complex and a dose of probiotics, and maybe limit to just hay to get things moving right again. Sounds like he had been dealing with a lot lately so resetting his rumen will help to get him back on feed and gaining again.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
Did you give B Complex at the SAME time as Corid? If so, the treatment may not have worked, and he may still be fighting cocci. Or was the treatment preventative? I’m confused.

Give him Vitamin B injectable and probiotics. Yogurt is fine, but I would try and get some actual goat probiotics, if he still isn’t eating you will want to continue to feed it, and a goat probiotic will fair better for him.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
I agree, thiamine should never be given at the same time as corid.
It cancels out corid.
I am not saying it didn't work at all.
I would get a fecal in about 14 days to see where the goat is at.

How is the inner lower eyelid coloring?

What I would do now is re-populate the gut with probiotics.
I would go down and buy the kind for goats at tractor supply. It is made better for the rumen.
Give that for 3 to 4 days.
And give 6 cc per 100 lbs of fortified vit B complex SQ for the same amount of days.
No grain until better.
Hay and browse is fine.

Make sure the goat walks around.

Also if you have banamine, that will help stimulate appetite, It can be used for about 3 to 4 days. Or better yet as needed for appetite. If though the weather is dipping low, do know banamine can drop temp a bit. So make sure the goat is kept in a warm place if that is the case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you give B Complex at the SAME time as Corid? If so, the treatment may not have worked, and he may still be fighting cocci. Or was the treatment preventative? I'm confused.

My vet told me to give him Vit B at same time as Corrid, the cocci has seemed to clear up. I gave him yogurt this morning and made a run to TSC for goat pro-bios. He was eating hay this afternoon/evening and seemed brighter than he was this morning. This morning he had a green discharge from his nose, but since giving him yogurt, that cleared up and he wanted to play.

Give him Vitamin B injectable and probiotics. Yogurt is fine, but I would try and get some actual goat probiotics, if he still isn't eating you will want to continue to feed it, and a goat probiotic will fair better for him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, thiamine should never be given at the same time as corid.
It cancels out corid.
I am not saying it didn't work at all.
I would get a fecal in about 14 days to see where the goat is at.

How is the inner lower eyelid coloring?

What I would do now is re-populate the gut with probiotics.
I would go down and buy the kind for goats at tractor supply. It is made better for the rumen.
Give that for 3 to 4 days.
And give 6 cc per 100 lbs of fortified vit B complex SQ for the same amount of days.
No grain until better.
Hay and browse is fine.

Make sure the goat walks around.

Also if you have banamine, that will help stimulate appetite, It can be used for about 3 to 4 days. Or better yet as needed for appetite. If though the weather is dipping low, do know banamine can drop temp a bit. So make sure the goat is kept in a warm place if that is the case.
Inner eye lid looks good, normal. I do have banamine on hand, I can give him that too. I did go to TSC and get the goat pro-bios plus and gave him a dose of the this evening, seeing he had yogurt this morning. He was eating hay after the yogurt and seemed to be doing better.

If VIt B should not be given with Corrid, why would my vet tell me to do so? Curious if you know why, not being a smart butt or anything. This bucklings brother had Coccidia at the same time and he cleared up with the Corrid and Vit B for 5 days. Not sure why it worked for one and not the other.

·
TKC Farms
2,387 Posts
Inner eye lid looks good, normal. I do have banamine on hand, I can give him that too. I did go to TSC and get the goat pro-bios plus and gave him a dose of the this evening, seeing he had yogurt this morning. He was eating hay after the yogurt and seemed to be doing better.

If VIt B should not be given with Corrid, why would my vet tell me to do so? Curious if you know why, not being a smart butt or anything. This bucklings brother had Coccidia at the same time and he cleared up with the Corrid and Vit B for 5 days. Not sure why it worked for one and not the other.
Not to be a know it all but sometimes what worked on one won't have the same effect on another. Just like humans, my wife takes alive and it does nothing for me, I have to have moltrin for same problem.

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts

Corid works by cancelling out vitamin b in a goat's system. Coccidia needs the vitamin b to survive and thrive. Without it, they experience their own form of malnutrition and die. Corid actually mimics the structure of vitamin b, and becomes a fake-out and replaces vitamin b with itself. Except when the coccidia feeds on it, they experience thiamine deficiency themselves and die. So if you give vitamin b at the same time, you're still fueling them which is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Corid is a fake B vitamin, the coccidia is fooled into taking that in. In some way thatkills the coccidia. Giving B vitamins at same time as Corid will supply the coccidia with the real thing and may make the Corid not be taken up.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Corid works by cancelling out vitamin b in a goat's system. Coccidia needs the vitamin b to survive and thrive. Without it, they experience their own form of malnutrition and die. Corid actually mimics the structure of vitamin b, and becomes a fake-out and replaces vitamin b with itself. Except when the coccidia feeds on it, they experience thiamine deficiency themselves and die. So if you give vitamin b at the same time, you're still fueling them which is the exact opposite of what you want to do.
Very well said.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Corid is a fake B vitamin, the coccidia is fooled into taking that in. In some way thatkills the coccidia. Giving B vitamins at same time as Corid will supply the coccidia with the real thing and may make the Corid not be taken up.
Very well said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts