5 month old buck with scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Oct 11, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    hi- My buck Pride had the scours and the vet prescribed Corid- we used this for a week and he still has them-They are dark and not quite as runny as they were. he is still eating fine and everything- I bought some scour halt, but don't know how much to give if any- i also have Corid-any suggestions???

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never used Corid, always had Albon on hand and the scours can be controlled with a dose of pepto bismol, at his breed/size I wouldn't be sure of the dose but if it helps, my mini kids get 3cc and they are usually around 10-14 pounds. Also with the corid, you will need to get some B complex into him as the Corid will deplete the level of Thiamine in his system....if you don't have the b complex on hand for goats, I personally have used "human" pills...crushed 1 tab and disolved in 2 cc water...worked fine.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ive also done the pepto...it has alsways worked within a day or two.
    I did get some Sulfadimethhoxine 12.75 solution (anybody know how to pronunce it?) from the vet just in case.
    The dose for that is day 1, 1 ml per lb & days 2-5 1 ml per 10lb.
    Last time someone had scours I mixed the first day dose right in with the pepto; presto it cleared right up within the day!

Maybe call the vet and tell them its not clearing up as quickly as you had hoped.
    Hope he does better soon!!

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We gave him pepto also during the week- could it be cocci??? I also noticed that he was wormy and gave some cydectin-apparently he wasn't wormed prior to us getting him-his gums were very pale.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    he could need deworming...expecially because of his gum color......I would take a stool sample to get tested that will say for sure what type of worms and how to treat..........Did the vet test for cocci? With the scours being dark...it does sound like cocci....

How did you mix the corrid and what dosage did you give him> ?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    recommended Corid treatment levels for caprines.

6cc/25#
    12cc/50#
    18cc/75
    24/100#

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    the vet told us to give him 21 cc of the corrid mixture-we did for 5 days (i just asked my husband-I was at work all week)-Thanks for the info y'all-does anyone know the treatment guidelines for scour halt???

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never used scour halt so I cant give you information on that. Does the bottle have any directions on it?

Did the vet do a fecal or just proscribed the corid? I am currently on day 4 of corid with Hope and her scours cleared up right away (I did a fecal and she was loaded with cocci).

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    She didn't do a fecal-Scour halt says its for pigs-but I have heard of breeders using it. he cleared up a little last week until we gave his feed back- i'm thinking it is also cocci.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    but scour halt wont work for cocci corid is for cocci and if it didnt work either the dosage wasnt right or you need a different cocci med

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Treating with corrid without pulling a fecal isn't what I'd expect from a vet. You're just treating blindly while if you knew what you were dealing with it'd be so much easier to clear the scours up.

12. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK thnks y'all- Im going to call the vet tomorrow to see what is up...

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with stacey and badnewsboers............for some reason........... if your vet didn't test first to see if it is cocci or not ..is very unusual...............I have a weird feeling they mixed the corrid to weak.................Corrid for us .......is given to us un-mixed ..we were given the instructions on how to mix and the proper cc dosage.per pound after mixed...............corrid has always worked for us on scours .......and does it very quickly....if properly mixed and dosed............... :scratch:

How many pounds does your goat weigh?

14. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    He weighs about 80 pounds- the vet was out looking at one of our horses that was colicing and we asked her about Pride and she gave us some corrid for 5 days. It was all that she had left with her and already mixed- I will look at the bottle tomorrow and see if it says how much it is diluted.I did order some from Jeffers and got it yesterday. She didn't do anything but look at him from outside the pen. he did clear up with the corrid and pepto bismol, but like I said-when we introduced him back to his feed, he started scouring again-The little buckling that was with him also scoured also. the pen was wet from a heavy rain the previous 2 days-that's why I think it is cocci-we have never had it to our knowledge and it is all new to me,..so....

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does he have a temp?

This is from Goatworld.com on the spectam sour halt:
    "Controls diarrhea in adults and kids over one month of age. This is a pig scour medication which works well on goats. Follow label directions when pumping this liquid into the goat's mouth. Follow up with oral ruminant gel (Probios) to repopulate the gut with live bacteria necessary for food digestion."

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you reintroduced the grain and it caused the scours I would give him pepto for 24 hours and see how that works. If it clears up then it was the grain. If it doesn then you need to get a fecal run.

Yah cocci has been a problem this year --- all my goats (13) got it and kids were pretty sick. Lost a kid but not sure if it was cocci or something else.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry stacey for your loss.......... :tears:

To much graining to fast can cause scouring.....but she did say dark stool....that means blood...........Is it dark green......or dark like black color?

Always remember to stop graining if they start scouring............if they are getting to hot of Alfalfa or any hot feed ........it will ..scour them if they are not slowly introduced to it ...... with any feed very slowly add .............each day.........

If you can get a fecal that would tell the tale............

18. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    It is a black color-eeeewwww-it was really runny like water before the corrid-now it is firmer, but not in the "pellets"-Im gonna try the pepto and see what that does-I don't wanna pump him with too much strong medication.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do the pepto for today and tomorrow take a sample to the vet and see what his levels are. That will be best

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have to agree with Stacey, if it is cocci...and I suspect it is, get a fecal to a vet and have a count done....the Corid itself may have been underdosed. See if the pepto and no grain will clear it up, but as you said the way it was raining at your place, wet areas will flourish with all kinds of nasty stuff....cocci is one of them.