5 month old buckling...not sure what's wrong...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Mar 15, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    My 5 m.o. buckling has dropped a lot of weight over the last couple months, is acting slow and quiet and I can't figure out what is wrong with him. I wormed him about a month and a half ago. He has a thick, fluffy winter coat and I hate to say it, but I haven't really gone in to mess with the bucks because they smell so bad... So I didn't realize he has lost so much weight. I can feel his back bone and ribs easily, but he's not extremely skinny or anything, but has definatley lost quite a bit of weight. Normally my goats have enough on to where you have to press pretty good to feel the ribs. He has started acting quiet and slow and just not running up for food like the others.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just am not sure what is up with him. He hasn't been breeding does and hasn't been chasing them so I don't think he's lost any weight from that. He's getting the same amount of food as everyone else and everyone else looks good. Should I maybe worm him again?? Could it possibly be cocci? Anything anyone can think of I could give him so he starts putting weight back on and feeling better. Poor little guy. Thanks in advance everyone!!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    personally I would test and/or treat for cocci. Then if his test comes back negative or after doing the cocci - possibly treat for worms

Could be that the "big boys" are pushing him away from feed. I would say, get him out and grain him to help build that weight back on.

What is his temp? Eyelid color?

This is what Turner did to me - but I didn't catch it in time.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Cocci is one of the first things that comes to my mind. Does have have diarheea?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cocci or being pushed away from the food is my guess. I would moniter his food intake and start him on a 5 day treatment for cocci if you cant get a fecal run on him.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, i'm starting to think it is cocci. No diarhea. I'm going to start him on cocci treatment tomorrow and go through this week and monitor him. I think I may just turn him out with the preggy does since they have a constant 6 string bale available so I know he will get all the feed he wants. But I am pretty sure he isn't being pushed away from feed because I give them a whole bunch and spread out their feed quite a bit, but I will see if that makes a difference. He'll probably like all the female attention anyway. :wink:

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I'd give him some fortified B complex to see if it would perk him up. It will help stimulate his appetite too.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Make sure there is no one that he can breed out there :wink:

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks everyone...I'll keep ya posted on how he does.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is he up to date on Copper and BoSe?

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would get a fecal on him and see what to treat for. It could be that you dewormed him and you used one dewormer and he might have other worms that, that dewormer does not treat.

I always find out what to treat for before I just treat for something.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    1) coccidiosis
    2) drench failure (time to rotate your drench)
    3) inadequate feed

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is this little one doing?

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    He's doing fine...acting the same. We started treating for cocci and if things don't improve within 2 to 3 weeks I am going to take him to the vet and see what we need to do. The problem is, our vet has not a clue about treating goats so everytime I go there we spend so much money when some things are solved more efficiently by asking you guys and researching on the internet, but I always go if need be.

I'll keep you guys posted.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hope he gets better ...with the cocci treatment....good luck...
    thanks for checking in...... :hug: