The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will try to make this long story short,but I have a little billy I got when he was a month old. He was doing great at the beginning and he just wouldn't grow or gain weight! I have tried everything to put weight on him. He has never been vaccinated, and it is not worms. For some reason he has no muscle! He looks very skinny but still eats fine!:confused: But NOW! he is weak in his hind legs but once hes up he is ok. So confused of what this could be? Can it be wasting disease? Please help! Think he may not make it much longer! Like I said we have tried minerals, calf mana, nutri-drench and other stuff but nothing helps him. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it is worms because we have wormed him and he shows no sign of worms, unless it is meningeal worms? We have other goats and they are very healthy even have young ones, just this buckling confuses me! We cannot get him to gain any weight even though he eats. He eats grain, hay and grazes all day! He also always stays to himself, but he has been like that since we got him. And he always walks around like his neck is stiff. Could he just be dehydrated? Or malnurished, but we have six other goats and they a great! fat and healthy never any problems with them. And his poop is fine pee seems fine. He just acts a little off to me plus not gaining any weight! I feel helpless! I don't know if I can afford a vet right now, but I may have to! I don't really know how to explain how he is acting except like he is an old goat! but not.

·
1,384 Posts
you are in a heavy liver fluke area. you may want to treat with ivermectin plus, every 10 days. We gave 2 cc per 100 lbs sub-Q(under the skin).

Valbazen wormer can also help with liver flukes.
Ever treat him for coccidiosis?

Tapeworms can also cause growth problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use Ivermectin. Could it be worms? I have been reading on here and I was thinking some bad disease! Which I pray it's not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Thank you I will try that, but if anyone else has any other ideas of what it could be if it is not worms? Thanks! Oh and yes he was treated for cocci when we first got him in march, but has been fine with the poop, it is little pellets like normal.

·
1,384 Posts
I think it could easily be worms.
Ivermectin PLUS is for liver flukes need to get that one.(every 10 days)
then worm with a white wormer like valbazen for 3 days in a row and then again in 3 weeks.

and research coccidiosis treatment(needs a different medication than above)

Can take a fecal in to a vet, that might save you some guessing, but I have not found fecals to always be accurate. They can be helpful if they find something, but I have had bad luck with them coming back clean and the animal still being sick and then responding to worming.

Then do lots of probios with the worming,

what breed is he?
how long you have him on a bottle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is a purebred Nubian and beautiful! I attached a photo of when we first got him and a swear hes has not grown much since march! I always told my husband that I think the people lied to us about his age, because he looked like to me he was only a few days old, but they swore he was like 6weeks!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was a bottle baby, but he is weaned and eats hay and grain and grazes fine all day. I will treat with ivermectin and see if this helps and again thank you! I will try to keep you informed.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
did you get him at 6 weeks? he still has a bit of a umbilical cord there..He maybe be younger...

I would choose Valbazen..its oral and also gets liver fluke and tape worms 1 cc per 10#
I would also re treat for cocci..it wont hurt to do so..dimethox or sulmet..1 cc per 5 # day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5...

tape worms will stunt growth including horn growth...treat 3 times 10 days apart and once more in 30 days...best wishes..

http://goat-link.com/content/view/72/#.UfGSDWSDTL9

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you happybleats for recognizing the umbilical cord! I thought the same thing when we got him, I knew he was not even a month old. He was a twin and I think they sold them at a few days old so they could use the moms milk. I am going to treat him for the worms and see how it goes. I love this sight! So many helpful people.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I think I would also treat him for acidosis with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 3cc. B complex daily for a few days. It's one of those can't hurt might help a bunch type of things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I couldn't find Valbazen so I went with the Ivermectin plus and gave him the pro bios and some electrolytes. Anything else or do I just wait and see?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts