5 month old doeling with odd spot??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope I can get someones input on this puzzle.
    Heidi, my 5 month old pygmy/nigi doeling has an odd soft spot in her belly just in front of her "udder", I felt it 3 months ago and didn't think anything was odd, but now that she's growing my fear is a hernia of some sort as this would be where it is usually "tight" feeling on my adult does. There seems to be a definate "split" and edges that I feel around this spot, is this something I should be worried about and have my vet check her out to be sure :shrug: Obviously as with most of us, when it comes to "our kids" I may be worrying over nothing but what do you think?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Is it in the area of the umbilicus? If it is, I would definitely suspect an umbilical hernia. If it is, it would be unwise (IMO) to ever breed her. But, I'd have a vet look at her if she's a doe you want to keep in your herd, it might be something else.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It very well could be a hernia. Also, maybe some sort of infection if it's where the umbilical is. Was her naval dipped in iodine when born? Maybe it's some sort of bacteria? Is it bulging or just a slight bump? You might want to have her checked by a vet. And as the other poster said, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use her for a breeding doe if it's a hernia or something similar. But who knows...I personally would have a vet check it out, since there's a number of things it could be. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's not a bump so much as it is a soft spot, and it's directly in front of her udder so about 3-4 inches from her belly button, which was dipped in iodine when she hit the sack and again after her mom was done cleaning her, so I know it's not an umbilical hernia it's too far back for that, the plan is to use her for her color and udder to replace her retired mom....next year so I have a ways to go before I would need to make any decisions. This isn't a bulge as much as it's just a soft spot, but I think I will make a vet appointment to be sure it's nothing to worry about :)

She is being a normal kid eating and eliminating like all healthy normal goats do so if it was truly a life threatening thing I would hope it would have caused her problems earlier and not later :shrug:

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmmmm...I don't know??? If you do end up taking her to the vet, please let us know what it was, I am bit curious to see what it is.

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am really not sure but I will throw out a thought.

I had a hermaphrodite last year that had a scrotum sac in front of its teats. It was about in the same spot that you are explaining. I am by no means saying that this is what you have but I am throwing out a thought. I think I agree with taking the goat to a vet.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, Heidi saw the vet tonite and had all the neccessary things done to her...temp...normal, weight 25 pounds, fecal...normal cocci count was 2 and there was sight of barber but nothing to worry about with regular worming, joints fine and she was a very popular girl while there. The soft spot is a small hernia, vet said it was in a odd place as most that she's seen have been on either side of the udder area...can be fixed if it grows larger but right now it's nickel sized and since she's just 5 1/2 months old it may grow closed....as far as breeding goes as long as it closes up there should be no problems..I don't plan on breeding her til November 09....more than enough time for her to grow and "heal". :clap:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's good to hear! Glad things look good. I just love taking goaties to the vet and seeing all the fun reactions. :) "Oh, my gosh, is that a goat!!" We have even taken baby goats in PetCo to pick out their collars, it's fun. :wink:

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Great news! Hope it heals up real nice for you!!

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well good, now you know what it is for sure! I love the reactions of people when you take a goat on a leash to the vet! Especially if there are children there! Good luck, I hope that closes up for you.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :slapfloor: Yeah, no kidding....you take them in there and everyone thinks...wow I never would have thought.... a goat walking on a leash in a vet, haha....then they poop, :ROFL: and it's even funnier to see the reaction on people's faces!