The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get input on my moms situation: she recently bought a lamancha nubian doeling. She will be 5 months old in a few days and all of a sudden bagged up. I thought mom was overreacting so I went to check the doeling out...sure enough, her udder is filled with milk (not colostrum) and is about the size of a large grapefruit.... what is going on!?!?! She bought her at 3 months old. She was being kept in the same pen as her sire and twin brother. Is this really happening? Or could there be another cause??? Note: pic of horns and teeth for age reference

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Most likely a precocious udder. Some goats (even bucks) will start to lactate without getting pregnant. She is too young to already be pregnant AND so close to giving birth that she is making milk. But is she fat, like pregnant fat? I would watch it and make sure that her udder doesn't get too tight, and if so, milk it out. Try to dry her up as best you can, though.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Is it really possible for them to be bred at 1-2 months? I thought it was 3 months when they could get pregnant. Her pooch looks kinda tight if she IS that far along?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
precocious is what I was going to say till I saw her pooch -- looks preggy to me, hence my previous post to that effect. But hopefully not.
Very true! But unless the doe is older than 5 months, then she would have gotten bred somewhere between birth and four weeks of age :confused:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
she doesnt look due anytime now -- she looks due in a month or two if bred. Its not uncommon for young does to start an udder sooner. But the only way to know for sure if she is indeed bred is an ultra sound or blood test

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her belly does look a bit big but I tried to find a baby, And unless it is a very small single, I can't find a thing! I saw this goat last week and she was NOT bagged up. I wasn't paying attention, but you really can't miss that kind of thing on a baby! Lol!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would do an ultrasound or blood test like Stacey suggested. Always good for peace of mind to know what you are really dealing with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone! I just talked to my mom and she is going to talk to our vet about a blood test Monday!

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
If theblood test reveals sheis pregnant..I would have a ultra sound done by someonehwo knows what they are looking for so you can get a size reference on the kid...at 5 months old she will most likley need help kidding..I would keep a very close eye on things...If you send your blood work to Biotracking..they give you a gestation estimate..try to get a close due date...Best wishes

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Good luck with the blood test! :) I've heard about what TrinityRanch was saying about goats lactating without pregnancy. She seems young to be pregnant, so that'd be pretty odd if she was.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My first timers seem to start getting a bag at around 2months bred, not a big bag just a pouch. If I were to guess I would say she still has 2 months to go, just off the bag, so if you figure if she has 1 in there and only 3 months bred, its very small and you would not be able to feel it. If it makes you feel any better I had a doeling get bred at 4 months, her fault not mine!! She had a single, was about her size and I didnt have to do anything.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think it is extremely unlikely that she is pregnant for a few reasons.

1. Nubians and Lamanchas are very seasonal breeders, and she would have been bred way out of season.

2. Large breed does don't usually go into heat this young.

3. Bucks that young probably wouldn't be able to get the job done

4. You said she produced milk, not colostrum.

5. Precocious udders are surprisingly common.

So, hopefully she isn't pregnant. I agree that sending in blood is a good idea though. I just don't think there is a very high chance of her being pregnant, it's not impossible though!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Colostrum can look a lot like milk...I would stop milking her if she is pregnant so that the babies will get what they need. I've also heard that does being near a buck can induce heat, so if she was in with two of them, it can be assumed(if she is pregnant) that they triggered her heat. A blood test is a great idea, it is a sure way to know :) If she is pregnant, you might want to consider the fact that she might have to have a c-section, be aborted, or be heavily assisted in order to do well in with the pregnancy.

On a lighter note, as OakHollowRanch said, precocious udders are quite common, and since her teats themselves aren't that swollen(I don't know if they always get swollen, but the ones I've seen have so I'm just going off of that) , I might say that that is the issue here.

I hope your girl is alright!

·
2,203 Posts
Colostrum starts forming typically a few hours prior to labor. All the goodies are thrown in during labor and shortly after. Common misconception is that all the milk made up to the point of labor is all momma makes. This is not true.

Personal experience milking a doe through, as well as working with many dairy herds that never dry cows up.

First milking after parturition is always "the good stuff" no matter if you've been milking through or not.

Just an FYI.

·
8,199 Posts
Am I wrong in saying that the picture of her teeth make her look like a possible yearling? Are the center 2 teeth larger than the others?
(I am probably way off base- if so, sorry) She just looks older to me than 5 months, by her teeth.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, first things first, I am not milking her. I just checked once to see of there was actual milk/colostrum in there...there is! Lol! And second, I'm not good at guessing age by teeth yet but others are so I posted the pic. Yes, the 2 front teeth are slightly larger than the rest and all of the teeth have spaces in between them. Here's a better, closer pic of her teeth.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
No that girl is well under a year. The teeth are all baby teeth and there's no lumps of adult teeth starting to grow. Here is a yearlings teeth, the adult teeth are much bigger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts