The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid my 5 month old Saanen doeling was accidentally bred back to her sire yesterday morning. Well, to rephrase, she was definitely bred, but I'm not sure that it took. I'm planning on waiting three weeks to see if she comes back into heat, and if not, sending in a blood sample to Biotracking to confirm. If it comes back positive, should I use Lute? I know a lady that had a doe that kidded at 10 months old and did fine, but I plan on showing this girl and I don't want her growth to be stunted. I haven't weighed her, but according to her heart girth estimation, she's about 50lbs. What would you guys recommend doing? My bucks are gone now; I moved them to a friend's property yesterday to prevent any more problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,555 Posts
Although it can be done ..I would not risk my Doe..I would Lute.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
If it weren't for the showing thing, if she were mine I would let her carry it. I've had similar issues happen (neighborhood kids letting the animals loose) and never had a problem. In fact, I didn't have stunted does either, I just made sure their nutrition was of a higher level than normal.

I guess it's more what YOU are comfortable with. I had a couple of oopsy, sire/daughter breedings turn out to be incredible, even when the doeling was 5 or 6 months of age.
 

·
Goat Girl
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
I would just wait the 3 weeks, see if she comes back in heat and if not I would lute her rather than spend the $6.50 + shipping for BioTracking. Lute isn't expensive, I got a whole bottle from my vet for $10. It won't hurt her to do it if she isn't bred, all it will do is make her come into heat again, if she is bred and you do it soon enough (at least 10 days after breeding) she will just silently slip the pregnancy and come back into heat. No point in risking a pregnancy with a promising young doe.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top