5 month old with udder?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by farmergal, Aug 28, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Every time I think I've read about all the things that can go wrong with goats... a goat goes and proves me wrong!!

I have a doeling born on the farm on April 10 of this year. (So, if my math is right, she's just about 4.5 months old.) She has started to develop an UDDER. And not a great one either... it's weirdly lopsided.

Here's the reason I'm really freaking out. While someone else was in charge of the goats (me and DH were on our honeymoon), the bucks got out of the buck pasture and in with the does. It was just for a few hours and none of the does were in heat so it didn't seem to matter. The doeling was 15 days old when this happened. Everything I've read says goats aren't fertile until 7 weeks old at LEAST, but I'm just a teensy bit worried that somehow she could be pregnant. Which would be horrible, because she's so young!

She doesn't look overly "wide" -- her mom has a good rumen capacity and so does she -- but her udder is definitely swollen. I'll get a pic and post it when I get the chance.

Why else could this be happening? What do you think this is? Her mom is a great milker but I haven't heard of very many maiden milkers in Nigis...

:pray: that this little girl isn't pregnant!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say that you have a precocious udder on your baby. Steph...a member here and a very good friend of mine had a young doe develop an udder at 8 months, Lopsided too and no chance she was bred either. The chance that your doeling was bred at just 2 weeks old is slim to none, just watch her for sign of mastitis and don't try and milk her as this will express the plug in the teat allowing bacteria to enter.

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Glad to hear that it's a slim to none chance of her being bred. That thought really scared me!

Hopefully this means she'll be a great milker when she does come into milk! I'll keep you posted :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's in the genes! If your baby's mama is a capacious milker, it's likely that your baby is going to be as well.

5. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Scarlet was 9 months old when she started an udder on one side. I did not know what it was and expressed milk out with dirty hands in the middle of the barn. Big mistake! Two days later she had a mastitis. After we cleared it up we just monitored her to make sure it stayed cleared up. It was the middle of April when it happened and lately I have not noticed her being precocious or getting any larger.

6. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    i've had 2 doelings this year with udders...definitely not in kid, and a 2year old doe that i had not bred, i've heard that it means that from high milking lines??? but i don't know if it true or not

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Oh how I hate precocious udders!!! :veryangry:

Two years ago I had all 5 doelings in the herd total. Each between 5 and 6 months old, and they all develop bags at the same time. Only one was bred, accidentally, of course. I did a ton of reading and research and even consulted with a vet. The bulk of what I learned indicated that precocious udder girls would just dry up on their own as long as they were never milked . . . big mistake! 3 of those girls ended up dying due to complications from mastitis and one developed a condition widely known as "blue bag" or gangrenous mastitis (she had the gaseous form). I worked on her for months to save her life (hydrotherapy for 20 minutes every 2 hours around the clock, massage and milking the infected half, antibiotic injections, banamine, etc.).

She's alive and well today, but she lost the right half of her udder. I donated her to my school in order to save her becoming sausage. She was not worth much to the farm I worked at with only half a bag and I became very attached to her during her treatment. She now eats my banana peels in the mornings before my classes and pushes the big horned boer wethers around :love:.

Three weeks ago the remaining half of her udder came into milk for the second time and there is no chance of her being bred (ie: there are no intact males within 10 miles from her)!!! :GAAH:

If I had it to do all over again, I would wait a while to see if the girls would dry up on their own. If they did not dry up after a reasonable amount of time, I would begin milking them out for a short while (a week or so). Then I would slowly dry them up and condition their bag to hold less milk, ending with a double-dose of MastiClear or dry cow mastitis to prevent any infection from taking over while their bodies adjusted to not being milked at all.

Those are just my thoughts and frustrations. Needless to say, I take precocious udders very seriously now. Perhaps it is a sign of good milking genetics, but in the end that didn't do my dairy much good since I lost 80% of that generation because of it. :help:

Has anyone else had such bad problems with it? It could just be me . . . medical disasters tend to happen when I am on-call, lol! :p

8. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    virtually all my does are precocious and they all end up being world class milkers. The herd I started my herd from has been managed strictly for production for over 50 years by the same woman. She breeds for milk, not pretty. This is the kind of herd precocious kids often come from. Watch it carefully. Do nothing unless she gets tight or hot or lumpy or painful. It may resolve itself, mine usually do. If you do need to milk, MILK. Milk it all out and infuse it with a FULL syringe of Tomorrow. I've dealt with Gangrene Mastitis and have one who also lost one side and nearly died. It's no fun. Study up on gangrene mastitis. Time is of the essence when an udder turns cold.

9. justagoatfarm5

justagoatfarm5 New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    been there done that one

deep breath, my almost 5 month old doeling did the same thing early spring, our research found that it was precocious utter, means shes going to be a good milker and it will absorb back into her later. mine did with no problems. scared me to death also,

10. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

This thread is really old