The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...
I have a baby ND doeling (DOB: 6/3/2021)...5 weeks old yesterday...weighs in at 4.6# this evening...she's not growing/thriving as she should be. Here's the deal...

She is a triplet (1 girl..2 boys)...was born "dirty" meaning, her birth sac looked like a toilet with poops in it and the fluid/goo was yellow and incredibly hard to clean off of her...super slimy. The boys sacs were normal...clear and relatively easy to clean them up..they are doing great and growing like crazy. They are 2-3 times bigger than she is now. (should I start separating them from the doeling and her mom at night or are they still a bit young..?)

The doeling is the only one with issues...BTW...no parasites found in any of the fecals...
  • Week 1: Took her to the vet because she was having breathing issues...panting with her mouth open. He gave her steroids (Dexamethasone)...Vitamins (B12 and B-Complex)/Minerals (Multimin 90)...antibiotics (NuFlor). Sent us home with instructions to give her steam treatments 1x/day...so we did for the next couple of weeks and she seemed to be doing fine...no observable breathing issues...
  • Week 3: Back to the vet with breathing issues...she was breathing fine all day and then started panting like crazy in the evening...it came on very suddenly. The vet took x-rays and said she had 'silent' pneumonia. She spent the night at the vet in the Oxygen Therapy Cage, hooked up to an IV bag of fluids. She also got more steroids (DEX), antibiotics (Draxxin), and Furosemide (helps take the fluid off the lungs). They sent her home the next morning, with no special instructions, telling us we should see “major improvements very soon”. Well...her breathing cleared up (yea!) but, she lost ½# at the vet. She was 4.6# when we took her in...dropped to 4.0# when we got her back.
  • Week 4: I contacted the vet, yet again, because the baby goat seems to only be surviving...not growing/thriving like her brothers. I asked if there was something I could supplement her with to help her get stronger and start growing. It’s like she’s burning through her calories. I have been putting her on her mom to nurse, uninterrupted until she doesn’t want anymore...every 2 hours for the past couple of weeks and she’s still not making any significant progress. He told me to bring her in for some blood work this past Tuesday (7/6)...sample sent to the lab.
  • Today (7/9): Called the vet...they received the results but, the vet isn’t back in the office until Monday. She emailed the Test Results to the vet and later relayed back to me that he said the baby needs a blood transfusion to reset her immune system and to bring her in Monday. He said she has a weak immune system and there’s really no other alternative than a transfusion. I have copies of the test results but, am not really sure what I'm looking at so, have to take him at his word.
I don't know if anyone has been keeping track but...the vet bills are crazy expensive and it will be another $350. for the transfusion. I hate to put a price tag on a life but, honestly, we just don't have it in the budget to go any further with the vet.

I am really hoping there might be a holistic/dietary alternative. Since the vet had no suggestions, I have started supplementing the baby goat with fresh leaves from the different plants that the adults goats are eating. I pick and feed her a small handful a few times/day. She really seems to love the fresh greens esp. sweet gum leaves, sassafras, self-heal flowers and leaves, white and red clover flowers, goldenrod leaves, wild blackberry leaves. I know that is helping her in some ways because she has a good attitude (always happy acting and bounces around playing a tiny bit every day) and has a great appetite for the greens and mom's milk PLUS...she has re-gained the weight she lost at the vet...back to 4.6#.

That gives me hope that she can be helped in a more natural way but, I think there might be more specific herbs/foods that I could be giving her...I don't know.

Taking all suggestions!! Hoping to come up with a herbal/dietary/immune building plan for her (garlic will be part of it I'm sure). I really don't want to have her put down and I really-really do not want her to suffer or be sickly/low quality of life.

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Has she been checked for heart defect? Nasal blockage? (There's a name for it. Just can't think of it for now lol) but it's when the passage has growth plate blocking full air flow.

·
8,479 Posts
I understand the $$ quandary. It is hard to not pump all sorts of $$ into our animals, but if it isn't there, then, only you can make tough decisions. No one here will judge you, most that have had goats for any amount of time, realize sometimes you can only do so much. I don't know all the herbs etc. but, Dyne (a high calorie liquid) will help her gain weight. (Tractor Supply sells it, horse aisle and maybe the dog aisle .

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Without really knowing what is wrong..herbal suggestions can be difficult but starting in immune support may help. Fresh raw garlic daily dies help. You can make a paste and add honey it molasses..feed her 1/2 teaspoon 4 times a day for a week then once daily. I like herbamins..you can order this blend in a extract to give a drop or two 2 times a day. Or powder form and mix with water and drench..I order from Land if Havilah. Both goes a long ways. I keep both on hand. LOH Also have a antibiotic type blend that can help support her. If you contact the owner of Land if Havilah..she will talk you through the best route.

Best wishes

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you have never bottle fed her? Certainly giving her the greens are fine.
I have tried her on the bottle...she fights like a tiger. She IS able to nurse from her mom and usually does so quite vigorously, for someone so small, which is why I go out many times a day. I take her and her mom out of the stall and let her nurse uninterrupted until she is full and doesn't want anymore. She gets to nurse like that at least 5-6x/day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has she been checked for heart defect? Nasal blockage? (There's a name for it. Just can't think of it for now lol) but it's when the passage has growth plate blocking full air flow.
The vet has checked for any/all physical abnormalities as well as taking x-rays. After spending the night in Oxygen Therapy and receiving all the meds...she has not had any issues breathing and her temp has remained within the normal range since then.

Currently...my main concern is that she is not growing strong/thriving (like her brothers). It seems like she is just surviving. The vet says a blood transfusion is her only option. I am here asking to see if anyone had any alternative suggestions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand the $$ quandary. It is hard to not pump all sorts of $$ into our animals, but if it isn't there, then, only you can make tough decisions. No one here will judge you, most that have had goats for any amount of time, realize sometimes you can only do so much. I don't know all the herbs etc. but, Dyne (a high calorie liquid) will help her gain weight. (Tractor Supply sells it, horse aisle and maybe the dog aisle .
Thanks! I'll pick some up today.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without really knowing what is wrong..herbal suggestions can be difficult but starting in immune support may help. Fresh raw garlic daily dies help. You can make a paste and add honey it molasses..feed her 1/2 teaspoon 4 times a day for a week then once daily. I like herbamins..you can order this blend in a extract to give a drop or two 2 times a day. Or powder form and mix with water and drench..I order from Land if Havilah. Both goes a long ways. I keep both on hand. LOH Also have a antibiotic type blend that can help support her. If you contact the owner of Land if Havilah..she will talk you through the best route.

Best wishes
Thank You!! I appreciate the advice. I will look into LOH and see if she can help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about the herbs and stuff, but if she will eat forage that is good for her.
Yes the boys are old enough to separate from mom at night if you want to give the girl some time to drink without competition. I started separating mine from mom at 2 weeks and they did great.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app
Thanks Kass! I was thinking they would be OK to be separated at night but, wasn't sure because they cried like babies...even tho' they were right next to their mom...separated by a chainlink type fence that everyone could touch noses through..LOL. (I'm totally going to have to toughen up a bit)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you feed your Doe garlic, the wee one will get it through Moms milk.
Thank You! I assumed the babies might get a bit of garlic-support through the milk but, am thinking but, not sure, the little doeling could do with a bit more support.

Maybe I'm just hoping for some "magic". Vet says her immune system is not strong and a transfusion is the only option. I am hoping that is NOT the only option. :unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts