5 week old kid won't take bottle!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MadonnaLogue, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I have a five week old Nigerian dwarf who will not take the bottle… It was nursing from its mom until two days ago. It has only been two days trying to get it to take the bottle so my first question is how long until I should be concerned? Also, does anyone have any tricks or suggestions? I have tried sitting with it in my lap standing with it in between my legs, all different positions. I have tried covering its eyes, Scratching its tail, making sucking noises, Karo syrup on the nipple. I just ordered the Prichard nipples, they will be here sometime today. I have two other boys that I bottle-fed at the same age and the same way and they caught on very quickly. Is my only option just to keep trying?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    It is next to impossible to get a kid that age onto a bottle after nursing mom till now. I would leave it with mom till at least 8-9 weeks.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Did the other kids get started on bottle earlier? At five weeks it's going to be a rough battle.
    You've got the tricks down, try putting the karo on your finger & sneak the bottle in.

4. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    They were the same age and they caught on quick

5. elaine

elaine Member

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I helped with a foal once, it's mother had no milk and we just couldn't get it on the bottle, he seemed as though he had no suck reflex. Anyhow I suggested just trying the milk in a bucket as a last resort and he drank it! He grew up to be a healthy youngster. Not sure if it would work but perhaps just try the milk in a bucket?
    Good luck hope it all turns out ok.

6. BlueHen

BlueHen New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Put the milk in a bucket for sure, I bet he takes it right away. When we have a bottle calf we try asap to get them off the bottle and start them drinking their milk from a bucket.
    Doesn't have to be in a bottle, as long as they get the milk. :hi5:

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Not good to feed milk from a bucket with goats..they have a little shut off valve that closes when the neck is looking up so milk gets to the milk stomach and not the rumen...I would just keep trying the bottle. Its frustrating how some catch on so easily and others dont. Best wishes

8. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Ugh. This is one of my biggest pet peeves; breeders who sell dam raised kids too young and expect the new owners to be able to feed them.

9. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Might try a different nipple. Lay the kid on your lap so you are not forcefully trying to feed the kid. If you need to, let it relax awhile or wrap it up in a towel so it can get away. Pet and sooth it. The more comfortable it is, the more inclined it will eat. Then put the nipple in its mouth and if need be let it drip. Move it around a bit making sucking sounds. Also make sure the milk is hot. About 100 degrees so it mirrors the same temp as it would get from mama.

10. PurpleToad

PurpleToad New Member

Feb 13, 2016
    I have some experience with this, not at that age but. Neither of mine were bottle raised 'til I got them...freaking breeders....anyway we ended up having to tube feed our goats. The first one figured out the suckling thing pretty quick and transferred to the bottle within three tube feedings. The second goat was younger yet when we got him and we had three or four days of tube feeding then I was gone for a feeding so he missed out on one and after that he figured out the bottle thing pretty darn quick. We're weaning now so they're down to one bottle a day but they still go at it like crazy. It just takes time and patience and don't let the baby go TOO long without eating.

11. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    He started sucking a tiny bit last night, so he got a couple of ounces in him...not a lot. I tried again this morning and the same thing. He sucked down (very slowly) a couple ounces...then he was stubborn again this afternoon. I think he is started to catch on to it though.

12. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Is the dam still in the picture? I'd put him back on her for a few weeks then just wean a little early as long as he's eating and drinking.