The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two pigmy kids. Game grain for the first time the night before last? Only one has diarrhea. They won't take the bottle any more. I tried for 2 weeks straight and was told by the vet not to worry about it if they were eating drinking and pooping. I don't know a whole lot about goats. Will this go away on its own? Is it from the grain? It was a horse feed they ate. Not much. Just a small handfull. I read that pepto can be given? Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Never heard of game grain? almost sounds like chicken feed? I know you mentioned horse feed though. But, are you sure?

Chicken feed is bad for goats.

Have you taken a temp? Normal temp is 101.5 to 103.5

How old are these kids?

Give electrolytes.

If they are over 2 weeks old, cocci and worms can be an issue. Get a fecal.

Yes, pepto is safe to give.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I meant gave. Not game. They are 5 weeks old. I was to to wait 8 weeks to worm. What is cocci? How do you treat it?should I treat them for it? They arent around any other goats. I'm new to this. Sorry for all the questions

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Worming can be done at 2 weeks old if they have worms. That is when worms and coci can raise it's ugly head.
They are old enough to get those things.

Cocci is a bad thing, it is located in their tummies and it can cause scouring and sometimes blood can be seen, it tears up their gut and gives them pain.
Left untreated it can kill them.
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm

They have sulmet, corid, which I use, and other sulfa meds for cocci. It is usually given for 5 days straight.
Tractor supply may have something. Or your vet of course. Make sure you dose properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I talked to a man at tax and he's going to help me get everything I need. I don't want anything to happen to my babies, I love them so much already!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I have available to me right now is duramycin-10. Do you have any advice with this? I was told to put 1 tsp per gallon and to leave just this in there for them to drink for 5 days? What do you think?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The best medicine for cocci in kids is either Dimethox, 40%, available from Jeffers supply with no prescription. Or:

Baycox/toltrazuril. Order from horseprerace.com. I used to use Dimethox 40% but switched to toltrazuril because it tastes much better and they don't try to spit it out. No prescription needed.

DonnaBelle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts