5 year old buck with very loose teeth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A few days ago Ecudo, our 5 year old oberhasli herdsire, stopped eating and was looking off. I started giving him B and C shots twice a day and we moved him to a different pen away from the other bucks. He started to show a little improvement but today mom had dad hold him and she checked his teeth, and she said that all his bottom front teeth are really lose. Does anybody have any idea what would cause this and is there anything we can do for him? He's been getting free choice minerals and hay, and I just started feeding all the bucks grain about two weeks ago for breeding season.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Hmm I don't know what would cause that- that seems really young to be loosing/loosening teeth

What about feeding him soaked food? Like soaked alafala pellets and soaked grain- maybe you could add some molasses to it to encourage him to eat it?
    It might make it easier for him to eat? :shrug:

Edit to add- I did find this little blurb:
    "Very long wobbly teeth that are loose in the gum. This may be “periodontal disease” which has many causes and there’s not much you can do about it."

Helpful huh?

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I haven't gone out and looked at his teeth yet(I got bit by a spider last night and my face is all blown up, so I can't go outside :roll: ) anyway, I looked up periodontal diseases in our cat and dog book and it turns out there are some herbs I can give him. Hopefully we have them, I hate to see him like this, especially when he's supposed to be in the prime of his life :(

Thanks for the help PHF :)

4. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have no idea what it might be..... :shrug: I've never heard of that....

I hope your better soon... :hug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow...that is terrible....I never heard of it.... :hug:

Hope you feel better soon... after getting spider bit... :( ...that can't be fun ...what-so ever....... :hug: