The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,962 Posts
I processed a 6 year old Boer female and had her done in the usual cuts. Cooked properly, we had nice tender meat. If I accidentally overcooked it even a little, it was a little tough.

Certainly ground meat would be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
59,962 Posts
No, at minimum the ground meat would be just fine. I put alpaca in the freezer older than that. I have put 9, 10 and 11 year old alpacas in the freezer and got the usual cuts. Once again, just cooking the meat properly and we had some really tender delicious meat.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate that info. Guess I'll be processing him then. I opt for ground because with only one of us working, we don't buy beef anymore :( I miss it! But we have a friend I bought a sheep from, and had it ground. It was very similar to beef!
How does alpaca taste?

·
Super Moderator
59,962 Posts
We just had grass fed Katadin put in the freezer. Alpaca tastes almost exactly like that.

Whatever you use the most of. We use very little ground meat and prefer the chops and steaks. But my sister has 4 kids and they use way more ground meat. So whatever you would use the most is how you should have it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts