The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned and raise goats for years without incident. I've normally been able to sort out any issues in my little herd but I'm stumped.

My girl had triplets in March and usually losses some weight while in milk. She always is something of a blood mess for a few weeks after birth. We are now in May and I notice a few weeks ago blood spots.I narrowed it down to Gertie I treated her for a urine infection and bloat as she was very tight. I've noticed two lumps on her sides that feel like they're bone but she hasn't had any major trauma so I ruled out broken bones and she's the head of the herd so I know nobody's beating on her.
Now she looks like a walking skeleton and I'm finding thick blood spots after every move. Last night I noticed she would crouch like she needed to pee but nothing would come out.

I'm afraid of losing her as she is the last of a line my grandfather cultivated and his lines have been so dispersed and lost that I would never find them again. He is on death's door so I don't feel like he's coherent enough to help me with this problem. And I don't want to distress him by letting him know that one of the last of his line is going down.

Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She didn't need any help with the births, they went smoothly. Somebody lost my thermometer😠 for me so I don't have one at the moment and she's not scheduled for a fecal test till next month. But we keep everybody on a regular worming schedule and we moved their pasture every two days.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,632 Posts
Definitely get a fecal. Deworming on a schedule often produces parasite resistance, so maybe the dewormer isn't working properly.

I have a doe this year that has gotten super thin after kidding due to parasites and I am having a terrible time getting her dewormed since I've discovered that many of the chemical dewormers just aren't working for me any more.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Is the blood coming from her pee or lady parts? Do get her temp as it helps determine what her body is doing.
Is she eating and acting well other wise?
Poop is normal?
Famacha?
Definitely a fecal.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
By the way welcome to the forum. You came to a place trusted for helping without fear of judgment or harshness ... 😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled her from the rest of the herd so that I can check for fecal matter. Where they were all running together I can't guarantee which is hers or that she is this pooping. I don't use chemical wormers much anymore and I doubt anything will survive my worming regiment. At least anything in her stomach or digestive tract should be killed for the most part every time I worm them. I'm picking up a new thermometer today. I believe I will pull some blood on her and send it off.

There for a while she was very withdrawn and subdued but she's doing a lot better now. She has a healthy appetite and the brightness is back in her eyes since I treated her for a urinary infection.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Doing a biosecurity test for Johnes and CAE is a good idea...The lumps...where are they located? Sometimes the ribs feel very lumpy and strange when they're thin. I've noticed this on several skinny goats. They don't feel the way you would expect ribs to feel.

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
What do you use for dewormer? I use herbs and essential oils and have had great success here with those. Sounds like you're in top of things. I find in stressful times...which can be weening the kids, crazy weather, illness...even with my close attention to dosage of herbs and oils..we can have a worm bloom. This is where I do acute dosing to get a head of it. It is rare I ever pull out chemical dewormers.
Pulling blood is great to see what's going on there.
There is the cecum..which bumps out just infront of the hip area..its round and seen when goats get thin..possibly that is the area you see th lump?
I love Saanen. We raised them for a time. I still have one doe and two mini saanen..love their personalities ....

Ugh thought I send this hours ago lol

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Unless you you mean the area just behind her front leg..rub area? (I see somthibg there in the pic) that maybe muscle over bone there.
Here is a chart showing where the cecum is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
This?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
I think it maybe just muscle over rib.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Is the blood coming from her pee or lady parts? Do get her temp as it helps determine what her body is doing.
Is she eating and acting well other wise?
Poop is normal?
Famacha?
Definitely a fecal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think it maybe just muscle over rib.

look at this image that she posted, i think its the lump in this one thats shes talking about..... it looks like its farther back then the ribs and in the stomach, right? it could be another kid? I'm not too experienced or anything, but right before my goats give birth i'll see the kids heads pushing against their sides and there is a visible lump like this, only its a lot smaller and not so noticeable because my goats were way plumper than she is before giving birth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts