6 1/2 week old kid with 106.2 temp!!! need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by alyssa_romine, Apr 13, 2008.

1. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I gave him 2 baby aspirin for his fever and put him in a stall with his mom and brother and turned the heat lamp on. I was going to give him a dose of pen.g but I dont know how much to give him....he weighs about 20-25 lbs.

He had the runs a few days ago and I gave him sulmet and just finished the treatment. His temp is 106.2
    he is acting off, not eating, laying around. Lungs sound clear, no rattling.

What do I need to do?????

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Give him a B shot, some MOM, and I think the dose of pen for him would be about 1 cc, but I'm not positive.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would get the heat lamp off of him. If you have Biomycin(sp) thats better than Pen.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry your baby isn't well! That is a very high temp, the aspirin was a good call too, I know that with my little one her temps were fine at the first 2 days then in the vets office up to 105.5 so she had me give her 1/2 cc amoxicillian every day til her temp was normal, it hasn't been above 103 for the last 3 days. The penicillian dose sounds right for his weight and I would give it til his temp comes down. Get some probiotics/ electrolytes into him by syringe if you have to, I was lucky that mine wanted to drink.
    I too would keep the lamp off of him, because he will just stay warm and when you take his temp again you won't know if it's from the illness or the xtra heat. Just keep him in a draft free stall or other area.

5. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I dont have any MOM. I have duramycin too but I thought that would be too painful. He doesnt have the runs anymore...they cleared up the first day of the sulmet. can i give the vit b as a sq shot??

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    okay..I will take the heat lamp off him.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    B complex can go SQ. I have been told you can give it orally at 1cc more than the injectable but I've never done it.

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    okay thanks. I have given vit b orally. also, it says not to give oxytet to kids under 6 months...i have the duramycin which is the painful one...do I still need to give it to him....1cc?

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes it does, but with a really high temp like that... I have heard of people giving it. If you are more comfortable with Pen then give that. You can always go to a stronger antibiotic if you need too. I believe the dosage of biomycin is 1cc per 20 lbs. But someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything. Just trying to help. :)

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thanks RunAround!

I just came back in from checking his temp and it is down to 103.5! I saw him chewing his cud and he was laying normally. I gave him the b complex and a baking soda ball. Should I go ahead and give him the duramycin or should I wait and see if his temp goes up again?

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That temp is a lot better! :thumb:

Hmm.. Not sure, but I think I would wait on the antibiotic.

Whats the temp like there? He might have just gotten over heated by laying in the sun.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely great :stars: ...I would hold off on the antibiotic if his temp stays under 104, it's great to fight infection but thoise antibiotics can "mess" up the gut...the baby aspirin given earlier must have done the job. Cud chewing is a good sign too!

13. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    it is about 50 degrees and mostly cloudy. I am heading back out to check on him.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the asprin is doing the trick that is good BUT you need to get to the heart of the cause of the fever, which is usually an infection of some sort. So some antibiotics would be important. What i would do is wait and when the asprin wears off see if his temp spikes again. If so start him on antibiotics - even if it stings (which I didn't know that kid did, just that LA 200 did) it is better then a dead goat. Just hold him and give him lots of love afterwards.

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thanks Stacey. I tried to take his temp but my thermometer needs to warm up....I will be going back out to check his temp in a few more minutes.

I gave him the aspirin at 3:30pm and it is 6:30 now....he was shivering again but it is cold out so that could be what it was....not sure. I have to work tomorrow and I told my hubby that he would have to look after him. Hubby knows how to give shots so that is a plus. I can give him instructions and my friend's number in case of an emergency. I cant call in sick because I just started this job and I have CPR training tomorrow.

I will update as soon as I get his temp.

16. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    his temp was 104.7....still normal but I went ahead and gave him 1cc of duramycin....he cried after I gave it to him and went and plopped down on his mom and brother. I will go back out in a little bit to check on him then I have to get in bed.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Poor guy. :( I hope he feels better in the morning. Do you have any banamine? That would take his temp down a bit longer. Around here I don't like to see a temp higher than 104.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

18. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Thanks RunAround. I know it was high but maybe he will be over it tomorrow.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope it comes down even more, the antibiotic will also help with that, I know how you feel giving a shot, especially when it is more than just the needle causing pain..it is for the better though and hopefully you'll only need to give it a few more days. I'll send a prayer your way, believe me ...that really works!

20. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    thanks liz!! I will greatly appreciate prayers. he is alert, just acting like he doesnt feel good. we had warm weather and then rainy, then warm again, and now its cold