6 Day Labor Process (so far)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Emma Hitt, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    So I have a 4 year old doe, Minnie, she has had 2 other kiddings that resulted well and had no problems. About a week ago she started showing signs of labor so we’ve kept a good eye on her, the thing I’m worried about is I don’t think it’s supposed to take over 6 days to kid! Her babies still move around a lot inside her so we know they’re alive. But can someone help me figure out what’s wrong with her?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Hi Emma, welcome to The Goat Spot. Could you please tell the group what signs of labor she has been showing these past 6 days. When is/was her due date? Is she showing any signs of obvious distress? How is her appetite? What about udder size, has she bagged up alot? What about any type of a discharge from her lady parts. Seeing any of that type thing yet, and if so, could you describe it?

3. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    She is acting unlike her normal self, is packed full of milk (as of this morning), she won’t really eat much grain but shows interest in hay, her belly is shaped differently, there was very little discharge, and her lady parts are looking swollen

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    And her ligaments are completely gone

MadHouse likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Which dates was she exposed to the buck and which breed is she?

Was she previously a hearty grain eater and stopped 6 days ago? New grain bag or source?

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  6. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Emma, please explain what is different in the way she is acting if possible. Since only you know her personality and see her on a daily basis, all we have to go on will be your description of her behaviour. I understand she has started to bag up as of this morning, her lady parts are getting puffy and she has lost some of her interest in grain. Since her stomach is looking different, do you feel as if the kids have dropped?

Would it be possible to post some pictures of her, showing a view from the top down, a view from the side, a view of her lady parts and a view of her udder? It would help us to be able to see what you see. Thanks

Kass and MadHouse like this.
  7. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    I do think they’ve dropped. It appears as if they sit low and back farther than normal. She’s usually a very affectionate and loving goat and always wants attention but lately she’s been stand offish and won’t let me touch farther back on her belly, under her belly or her udders. She was exposed to our buck from August 3rd until October 6th. I know that’s a long time but they went back into heat in September so we gave them a bit longer. She’s normally a pig when it comes to eating and she will shove the others out of the way for grain but today and yesterday she’s been standing back and just nibbling at it. I’m not sure what’s wrong because the other kids I’ve helped with and saw been born never took this long and was that drug out.

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  8. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    To me her udder doesn't look full. In the one photo her back defiantly looks hunched. The hunched picture of her from the side does look like she is either in labor or about to go into labor. How long has it been hunched like that? Could you maybe post a photo of her lady parts? Has she been having contractions? And how far apart? It sounds like you've seen labor and birth before, has she gotten serious about pushing? Without being there it is hard for us to know if she has entered labor or not.

Any other signs labor like pawing? Laying down and getting up again? You said a little goo. How long ago and what color? It could have been the mucus plug.

Being off her feed could be a sign of pregnancy toxemia. Has she been eating hay like normal or less? You could also take her temperature and check for signs of dehydration. Can you stall her by herself for some privacy? And do you have someone else experienced in goats who could maybe look at her and give you a second opinion?

9. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    I do think they’ve dropped. It appears as if they sit low and back farther than normal. She’s usually a very affectionate and loving goat and always wants attention but lately she’s been stand offish and won’t let me touch farther back on her belly, under her belly or her udders. She was exposed to our buck from august 3rd until September
    her back has been hunched since this morning and last night there was a string of goo hanging from her that was like 6 inches long. She eats her hay like normal she just didn’t eat very quickly or all at one time and she eventually finished her grain. She’s been drinking quite a bit so I don’t think she’s dehydrated. This evening when I went and checked in on her and she was breathing a little heavier and quicker, I asked around and they said that most likely when that’s happing and her belly is moving quickly that she’s contracting. She doesn’t appear to be pushing so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m super confused and people I know that have had goats for a very long time we’re telling me that it shouldn’t be taking that long. She does appear to be uncomfortable and just lays around and groans and later this evening around 8pm she was getting a bit noisier and laying around more.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Can you go on YouTube and watch a goat birth? Contractions and pushing is usually easy to see. The only way I can explain it is contractions move belly. But pushing the goat will groan, at least, and it will be like she is pushing energy backwards towards her tail. Think like she is having a big poop.

It kind of sounds like she is in labor and starting contractions. You could see babies tonight and I would check her again. When my goats start breathing heavy like that is usually means in the next 2 or 4 hours.

If you see noticeable contractions and serious pushing but nothing else you need to consider going in and making sure babies arent stuck. Or calling a vet. Or a experienced goat person.

11. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Do you know the dates of her heat in September?

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    I watch quite a bit of Blue Cactus Dairy Goats, most of which are the birthing videos because I’m trying to see what other things to look for. I did notice her laying down and just staring off, or putting her head in the corner. Thank you for trying to help me with this because I am truely confused with this.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Has she been pushing at all?
    If not, she doesn’t look quite ready to me.

Off grain can be normal late term.
    Check her ketones and be sure she is getting calcium in her diet.
    Are you feeding alfalfa hay?

Is she getting plenty of excecise?

14. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Your welcome. Like I said it is hard to tell when we aren't there but I think she wasn't in labor for those 6 days. She lost her mucus plug last night and her ligaments this morning. She is probably having contractions now because of the heavy breathing. Kids tonight or earlier morning.

I'm speculating since I'm not there but look for those contractions, fluid, pushing, pawing, and other signs you see in the videos.

I hope all goes well with Minnie and let us know if you see any more symptoms or have any more questions.

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She has not been in labor for 6 days. She probably wouldn't be alive if she has truly been in labor for 6 days. If you are inexperienced, have a vet or very experienced goat person look at her in person.

16. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    We’ve thought she was because she was showing a few obvious signs for the past 6 days, but I don’t think she’s been in actual labor for 6 days either now.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  17. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Well hopefully things move along for her without any issues. Of course we need pics when the kid(s) are here

MadHouse likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Late term, when they lay down, it is harder for them to breath, so they may breath harder or even make grunting sounds.

Does start losing their mucus plug, a month or so prior to kidding.

Ligaments can come and go at times.

Her udder may get super tight over night and have a shiny appearance at the bottom area.
    Looking at her from behind, when she is getting closer, she will appear less pregnant, as the kids drop and head to the birth canal.

goatblessings and MadHouse like this.
  19. Emma Hitt

Emma Hitt Member

Jan 21, 2021
    West Virginia
    That’s her today at 5pm. I talked to someone who has had goats for a long time and had them take a look at her, they basically told me that she’s preparing to have them and she should have them in a few days. She doesn’t really seem to be contracting. I’ll just keep a close eye on her until she does kid. She’s been eating and drinking regularly and seems to be putting on more milk. I reckon I’ll update if anything happens?

Attached Files:

20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you were able to have an experienced person look at her. Good luck!

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.