6 day old bottle baby question ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I have a bottle baby (nd) that will be 6 days old on Saturday. We have plans for Saturday and could be gone for a while. Just to guess - we may be gone for approx 6 or 7 hours.
    I don't bottlefeed her through the night, so usually the last feeding is around 11pm and then I don't feed her until 9 or so in the morning. So she already goes for 10 or so hours at night without feeding anyway. Which btw - she has done fine, and this is how I raised all of my bottle babies - I never got up at night with them.

So being that she does fine at night for that long - can I assume that she'll be just fine on Saturday if we're gone for 6 or 7 hours and she doesn't get a bottle in that time ? I would give her a bottle right before we leave, and as soon as we get back of course. And could even get up through the night every 3 hours to feed her - since she would be missing bottles during the day. I think this sounds reasonable - but I never tried this before with any of my bottle babies. Other than at night. But never left for long periods of time during the day. So figured it couldn't hurt to ask your opinions :)
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    hey you do what you got to do. Isnt' ideal and if you can't get anyone in your family to run up with a bottle then yah feed her an extra bottle during the night if you think she needs it.

one thing we did one year was to place 2 bottles in the fence (like a rabbit water bottle) while we were gone for the day. The kids drank the their bottles as needed I suppose (of course i wasn't there to see it) and were none the worse for wear.

If you have a place you can put her and have a bottle accesable to her that would work.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was wondering the same thing Stacey, about "leaving" a bottle for her to access it. Rigging up a holder to put it in would be the complicated part, depending on how vigorous an eater she would be, I'd be afraid she would push it out.
  4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yes you can let the kid go that long as a one time thing. I have had to a few times in the past and my kids were fine. :wink:
  5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    She'll be fine....especially since she is used to going all through the night.