6 week old blind pygmy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BanditMan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. BanditMan

BanditMan New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Hey yall, glad to be a part of these forums. I am brand new to the goating world and wanted goats since I was real young. My wife and I just bought our first home with a little over 2.5 acres and a goat barn in the back. We just came across herd of beautiful pygmy's 6-7 weeks old. She had 2 females rest males. We wanted the one female she had but there was a contingency. The other female was blind and had to go with her b/c she (the not blind girl) called her over when time to feed and play. It was amazing to watch!! So we could not say no.
    Question is: Does anyone have any ideas to find out cause of blindness? I looked into her eyes and her lashes seem to be fine and the breeder said she was born that way. The other kids were ok. Anybody have any ideas what to do next?

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I'd have a vet look her over. There could be so many causes it is hard to say.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How does the eye itself look? Any cloudiness? Ulcers?
    Pinkeye?
    Does she squint the eye's or have them opened naturally?

Any reaction to your finger or hand coming close to the eye, a reaction? Response to light?

Glad you checked for inverted eyelid.

I do agree, a vet needs to determine the cause.
    Sometimes it is unknown too.
    Congenital, at birth cataracts are permanent damage and can cause irreversible blindness.
    A skilled veterinarian may be able to do surgery to remove the damaged lens in the eye's to improve vision, but very expensive.

Polio causes blindness, but doesn't sound like it is as it has been going on for a long time and no circling ect signs right?

If the other goat is it's eye's, that is a special goat too.
    So sweet of you to take them both in.
    Goats can live with handy caps. But do need to be supervised to ensure she is getting enough to eat and drink.

capracreek and BanditMan like this.
  4. BanditMan

BanditMan New Member

Sep 5, 2017

5. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Welcome to TGS.

BanditMan likes this.
  6. BanditMan

BanditMan New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    She has cloudiness in both eyes and keeps looking up in sky and side to side. She is a happy goat and does great getting around. Esp when we get home and I get to gate she comes running and really does a good job. She does run into things outside barn and inside. Poor thing has been this way since being born. Havent checked light yet but hand finger no. No response. Her sister's eyes are perfect and normal.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor baby.
    She sounds like she will be blind for the rest of her life. But adapts well, good she has you and a goat friend to take care of her. I commend you. :)

8. BanditMan

BanditMan New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Thank you ...She really has adapted well with our three dogs as well. I did however shine bright light into her eyes at night time and actually got a response out of here in both eyes, MAYBE this is something that can be fixed. If not, no problem she will be in good hands. I will NOT breed her as I see others are still doing.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm, well, if there is response like that.
    I would think she can see a little bit and not totally blind.
    Does she have a white film over the color part of the eye?

10. BanditMan

BanditMan New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Yes she does. And I took her to the vet and vet said that she will be blind for whole life. There are cataracts over pupils that are blind on top of that.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor girl, but sounds like she is going to cope well.