The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 week old baby who i noticed a couple of days ago standing with a sawhorse arch, walking with a stiff gate and lower head. I inspected him for any cuts or lacerations which might cause the lameness. Nothing was found.He was still eating, and seemed alert when his mother was near to try and suck. Yesterday morning I found him laying down, with no will to stand at all. When I picked him up, he seemed to cry in pain, and seemed very stiff. When i stood him up, he stayed for a few seconds then went to his knees and laid back down. I felt inside his mouth and it was very cold to the touch. I took his temp and it was only 100.5. I got him under the lights and gave him selenium/vit e gel. Waited until he had normal temp, drenched him with electrolytes several times yesterday. He still can't stand for very long, but is nibbling on the straw and hay in his pen. He doesn't look sick? Open for any suggestions.
Thx!

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Okay you need to get extra Vitamin E into him right away and then provide supportive care until the selenium takes effect. Go buy Vitamin E capsules at a human pharmacy or grocery store and squirt in his mouth. If he were mine, I would repeat the oral Sel/E gel tomorrow and again in 1 week, but there isn't much information available on avoiding overdose. Cod Liver Oil capsules are also often recommended.

Then keep him under heat, milk his dam out twice or thrice a day if he can't latch to keep her production. I'd highly recommend tubing him until he begins to nursing readily. Sounds horrifically scary but not bad at all. Alternatively, you can try dribbling the milk into the corner of his mouth making sure he is swallowing. Not sure how much he weighs but needs like at least 24 ounces a day maybe if full size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any update on your buckling @Lyndilu2 ?
Yes.. he's doing really good! I really thought he was selenium deficient. He had all the signs! I treated him for that with little to no improvement. It took several days of care, standing him for a few seconds, rotating him and having to tube feed him. Then, one morning I found him up and trying to move on his own? I'm really wondering if one of the mama's gave him a good ram and he was so sore he couldn't stand? Thank you for all your advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Selenium supplements (and other minerals) don't act instantaneously so it still could have been selenium deficiency and they kicked in after a few days. But who knows!
Good to know! Hopefully the rest of the year is uneventful!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts